Do you ever notice that when people set a personal record running in a race, they often set a goal of achieving an even faster time soon thereafter? When people lift a new weight at Crossfit, swim a new personal distance record, walk a block further than they ever have before, or hold a plank for their longest time ever … they often decide that it’s just not quite enough, and they want to go further / faster / longer / stronger. (picture source)
In business school, we learned about kaizen, which is Japanese for “change for the best,” and symbolizes the constant drive for continuous improvement (especially as embraced by Toyota). I like to apply this concept to all aspects of my life, encouraging myself to keep striving to get better. Let’s face it, no one is perfect (and perfection shouldn’t be the goal), so there’s always something we can work on making just a bit better. (picture source)
What can you strive to improve about yourself today? If you’re looking for an idea on how to improve your fitness, keep reading!
30 Day Ab Challenge, Revisited
If you’ve been reading for a while, you may remember when we did the 30 Day Ab Challenge together back in August. It worked well – I actually worked up to a 5-minute straight plank! The secrets for me were gradual improvement, persistence, and motivation.
You readers must be thinking about getting your abs ready for the summer, because I’ve noticed that (aside from obvious terms like “The Lyons’ Share”), “30 day ab challenge” has become my most popular search term over the past week or two. So … we’re going to revisit the challenge, together! But in the spirit of continuous improvement, I’m making it better. Here’s what you get:
- An updated printable calendar to track your progress (we’ll be following the same workouts as the previous challenge)
- A community tracking sheet to report your progress to our group (it will keep you more accountable!)
- Social media encouragement! We’ll use Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook to keep each other motivated (and it’s a great way to make new social media connections!)
- Prizes! For one lucky winner who shares his / her progress, I’ll contribute the most popular prize from my 1-year Giveaway … a $30 basket of healthy snacks, hand-selected by me!
- Motivational emails: I’ll send you an email once a week to remind you to keep up with your workouts!
- AWESOME, strong, and lean abs! (Well, only if you actually do the workouts!)
This is a FREE 30-day challenge, and I want you all to join! We’ll do our workouts June 9th – July 8th (so you’ll be feeling strong for July 4th weekend!). Anyone can follow along using the old calendar (from the August post), but if you want the updated calendar, and to be included in the emails and prize drawing, I’m only sending out the registration link in my monthly newsletter, which comes out tomorrow. You can SIGN UP HERE if you haven’t already (you’ll also get my free download, “7 Nutrition Myths that Will Change How You Eat Every Day”).
Let’s do this … together!
So tell me in the comments … What is one way you strive for continuous improvement in your own life? Are you ready for the 30-Day Ab Challenge?!