One year ago today (OK, tomorrow), I published my very first post on The Lyons’ Share. It was called “A Fresh Start,” and it truly represented that for me – I had been so passionate about health, wellness, and fitness for so long, and had completed my health coaching certification, but didn’t have an outlet to share my passion with others, since my employer didn’t permit me to have a side business. I had been reading health and fitness blogs for several years, had dreamed about starting my own, and had even dabbled in the world of blogging with a honeymoon blog and a summer vacation blog. (picture source)
But this was different. With the other blogs, my intention was simply to share our vacations with family and friends, and to document them for ourselves. With this blog, my intention is to have an outlet for my passions, but also to spread my thoughts, and (hopefully) inspire someone, somewhere to make a change in their own health. This obviously requires putting myself, my opinions, and my blog “out there,” which made starting it all the more scary. However, I never doubted that it was the right decision for me, and I’ve never once looked back. (picture source)
- My content: I care a lot about the content that I put out on this blog. Sure, some posts have been more well-researched and thorough than others, some photos are even worse than others, some opinions / preferences / food intolerances change, and some topics already seem passé. However, there is not one of my 205 published posts that I regret posting, want to change, or wish I had never written. I truly think this is something to be proud of.
- The feeling I had on January 6th: I have never been more nervous about or proud of a post than I was (and am) of my post titled “Living the Life I Have Imagined.” The outpouring of support you all showed me – in the blog comments, emails, Facebook messages, and elsewhere – meant so much more than you could have imagined.
- Reaching diverse audiences: I obviously don’t blog for statistics, and don’t stress too much about my pageviews or other analytics. One thing I think is truly amazing, though, is the fact that I’ve had readers in 139 countries! This is my favorite statistic of all, and one that makes me so grateful to have the blog as a platform.
- The friendships I have formed: I have so enjoyed getting to know all of you, and I am grateful for the encouragement, support, and conversations we’ve shared. It’s amazing that you can feel like you “know” someone just from reading their blog and having a few outside conversations, but I truly do consider many of you my friends!
- The comments you all have shared: Although it sometimes takes me a while to respond (sorry!), I get an email every time a new comment comes through on the blog, and it makes me smile every single time. To know that you all are reading, thinking about the topics I post, making changes in your own lives, and sharing your own opinions with all of us makes me so proud and happy!
- What I’ve learned about myself: The blog has taught me to prioritize, has encouraged me to focus on balance, has fueled my passions for healthy living even more, and has brought joy to every single one of the last 364 days. Even on days when I felt confused or down in other parts of my life, I’ve loved that the blog has brought a big smile to my face!
- The confidence to start The Lyons’ Share – as a business: No, my blog is not even close to big enough to make money off of, and no, my blog statistics couldn’t convince me that my business was / is going to ultimately succeed. But seeing how much I loved spending time on health and fitness, and how I could inspire some people just through simple posts, was part of what gave me the confidence to start my health coaching business. I appreciate all the support, encouragement, and (of course!) referrals you all have given me for my health coaching so much.
Enough sappy stuff … let’s celebrate this amazing year with a giveaway!!! I’m giving away several prizes, and you can enter using the Rafflecopter widget below (you must click on the green buttons to enter).
You’ll have the opportunity to rank your preferences. So, the first winner selected by Random.org will get his / her first choice, and then the second winner will get his / her first choice (unless it has already been selected, in which case he / she will get his / her second choice), and so on. Giveaway is open to anyone for all prizes besides Arctic Zero and myMix; if you are international, do not include those two on your rankings. If you do not want a certain prize, do not include it on your rankings. Giveaway is open until Thursday May 8th at 11:59pm CT, and winners will be announced on Friday’s post. All prizes have been donated by the companies, except the last, which I will pay for out-of-pocket. Here are the prizes:
- One free month of Barre3 online classes, representing my first giveaway ever
- One Polar FT4 heart rate monitor, representing my last product review of the first year
- One complete sample pack of Arctic Zero (with seven flavors of pints and 2 boxes of bars!!!!), representing the most excited I’ve ever been to receive a package for the blog and my favorite meal occasion of the day – dessert!
- One 5-serving custom blend of myMix Nutrition, representing the company I’ve reviewed that best embodies my favorite health principle of all time – bioindividuality
- One hand-selected package of healthy food items, since I gave this away as a prize during my Spring Reset and think it is a great prize! You can tell me what you’re looking for, an “unhealthy” product you need a substitute for, a food occasion that you want to target, or just leave it up to me to choose. I will select around your intolerances, preferences, etc., and ship you a fun box of goodies! (Value around $40-$50)
Once again, THANK YOU for an amazing year, and here’s to many more!
So tell me in the comments … How long have you been reading The Lyons’ Share? Do you have a favorite post or memory of The Lyons’ Share? Do you have any suggestions for improvement?