You likely know that one of my strongest nutritional beliefs is in bioindividuality, or the principle that not one specific thing works for every single person. Whether we’re talking about exercise, nutrition, or lifestyle, there is no one perfect solution that will make everyone healthier.
That said, we often expect products that we use to support our health to be ‘everything for everyone.’ I share products with you that I personally love, and that help me reach my health goals because I think there’s lots of value in learning about what works for others, but of course – they may not work for you. Today’s product, though, is different … a brand new company called myMix Nutrition is taking the principle of bioindividuality one step further and allowing you to customize your very own protein powder mix. As soon as one of the company’s owners contacted me about trying out his product, I couldn’t wait to learn more about myMix, and I’ve been excited about the product ever since. Today, I want to share 7 Reasons I’m Excited About myMix Nutrition … and give TWO of you a chance to try out your own custom blend!
- You get exactly what you want, and nothing else. With myMix, you’re able to choose exactly the ingredients that help you reach your health goals … and eliminate all the ones that you don’t want. There are no hidden ingredients, no sneaky sugars, nothing that you don’t add to your mix.
- myMix’s options support a wide variety of dietary concerns. For protein options, you can choose whey protein isolate or concentrate (I talked about why grass-fed is important if you’re choosing whey in this post, and many of you said you can’t consume whey anyway, so now you have more options!), casein, a mix of whey protein isolate and casein, egg white protein, a vegan blend of pea, rice, and hemp, hemp protein, or pea protein. There are add-ins for everything from boosting your metabolism to supporting muscle repair and recovery to maintaining digestive health, so you can choose what works for your body and your concerns!
- myMix uses high quality ingredients. All of the ingredients are domestically sourced from the US, non-GMO, and hormone free. They offer mostly all-natural and organic ingredients, and offer NSF certification for competitive athletes. They also have an automatic alert system that will not let you create a mix with more than 70% of your maximum daily intake, so many of your concerns about supplements are taken care of.
- myMix offers research to help you determine what’s right for your mix. Each potential additive has a helpful article, research study, other resource linked right next to the ingredient, so you can investigate whether or not it is right for your body. If you have a particular question about your mix, I’m happy to try to help! In my mix, I chose:
- Vegan protein blend
- Branch Chain Amino Acids (for muscle repair and recovery)
- Beta Alanine (delays muscle fatigue during exercise)
- L-Citrulline (supports energy production during exercise)
- L-Carnitine (helps burn fat as a fuel)
- Digestive Enzyme Blend (helps you digest the mix more easily)
- Probiotic (more digestive help)
- Greens blend (you know I love my vegetables, so I couldn’t pass up the chance to have more kale, broccoli, spinach, and alfalfa in my life!)
- Vanilla flavor (I went with the regular, but they also offer sugar-free)
- myMix is a small company with owners that are passionate about health and wellness. Crutcher and Sarah are a husband-and-wife team that own and manage myMix together, and their passion for their company is amazing. They were both college athletes (and Sarah was a pro volleyballer), and they also have an Australian Olympic medalist on their team! They understand the need to offer products that support various nutritional goals, and are committed to helping consumers get what works for them. It’s also been really fun interacting with them and sharing experiences of starting a new business. I have no doubt that their determination and passion will carry them far!
- It tastes great (well, at least MY mix tasted great!). I almost always use protein powder in something – like a smoothie, oatmeal, or some of my baked goods like Apple Zucchini Muffins, Peach Protein Microwave Cake, or Orange Almond Protein Muffins. However, I wanted to be sure that the add-ins I chose did not mask the taste alone, so I tried myMix with plain water. It was actually still really good! I still prefer the smoothie, but would not shy away from drinking myMix with water in a pinch.
- It’s just fun! If you’re into nutrition like me, I bet you’ll have a good time playing around on the myMix website. You get to choose your ingredients, name your own mix, and the package comes with a customized label with your own name!
I see only two potential downsides with myMix.
- First, it’s slightly more expensive than most protein powders you find on grocery store shelves. However, often times, you get what you pay for, and if you care about fine-tuning the ingredients in your protein powder to maximize your personal results, then you may decide it’s worth it for you. While you’re building your mix, there’s an automatic calculator that shows you the price per serving increasing with each supplement or ingredient you add, so you can manage to a price that works for you. I personally choose to splurge on high-quality food more often than I splurge on anything else, and I’m very excited about purchasing more myMix blends (especially now that I am eliminating peas, rice, and vanilla based on my food intolerance results … looks like I’ll be trying out the hemp blend in a different flavor!). I also have a discount code for you at the bottom of the post to make it a bit less expensive for you to try!
- Second, the nutrition facts and ingredients don’t automatically populate on the website, so you can’t view the nutritional totals of what you have in your blend until you actually receive the package. When you do receive the physical product, the ingredients label is incredibly detailed and precise, showing all ingredients included and many more nutritional stats than you’d see on a classic label. The company is quickly working to get some of this information online, as well!
Simple Green Smoothie with myMix
The first way I tried myMix was this simple green smoothie, which was fresh, delicious, and perfect for spring. I’ve actually repeated it a few times!
Win Your Own myMix!
Overall, I was so happy with myMix, and I want to give you the opportunity to try some for yourself! So now, here’s your chance to win your own customized blend! TWO winners will be selected on Tuesday at 11:59pm CT and announced in Wednesday’s post. Each winner will get the opportunity to create their own 10-serving mix for free! US only, sorry. Enter using the Rafflecopter widget below – you may need to click through to the Rafflecopter site, and you must click the green +1 symbols to enter.
If you don’t want to wait to get your own mix, I have a great deal for EVERYONE … 15% off your entire order! Use code LyonsMix15 for 15% off, good from now until Friday, April 4th at 11:59pm CT.
So tell me in the comments … What are your main goals when you purchase a nutrition supplement or protein powder? Have you ever purchased a customized food product like this?