foodie friday

You probably know by now that I have a thing for sneaking veggies into regular old recipes.  I put veggies in smoothies, soups, desserts … you name it, and I’ve most likely tried some way to sneak a veggie in.  I’ve already shared my Veggie-Loaded Guacamole, and given you one version of green hummus (using basil and spinach).  homemade basil hummus thelyonsshare

But this week, I found myself wondering if it was possible to add broccoli to hummus.  Of course, my food intolerances are still preventing me from eating chickpeas, so I wanted to make a chickpea-free hummus with broccoli.  Luckily for you, my wish came true, and this dip turned out wonderfully.  It’s delicious, super healthy, and fun to bring to your summer BBQ this weekend or eat with fresh veggies from your Farmer’s Market.  Enjoy!

broccoli hummus The Lyons Share 2

Chickpea-Free Broccoli Hummus

Chickpea-Free Broccoli Hummus

by Megan Lyons

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 0

Keywords: steam blender side snack dip gluten-free low-carb vegetarian vegan beans vegetables dip

Ingredients (12 servings)

• 2 cups broccoli, chopped
  • 1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 Tbsp. tahini
  • 1 tsp. garlic, minced (or 2 cloves, minced)
  • 1 tsp. olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
  • ~5 Tbsp. water

Instructions

Steam broccoli until bright green and softened.

Add all ingredients except water to blender or food processor.

While blending or processing, add water, 1 Tbsp. at a time to your desired consistency. Hummus should be mostly smooth, but not watery.

Enjoy!

Each serving contains 1g fat, 6g carbs, 3g protein.

Powered by Recipage

broccoli hummus

*Photos shot by my summer helper, Natalie, a college student at Southern Methodist University.  More details on her coming soon!*

So tell me in the comments … What’s your favorite way to sneak in veggies?  Do you like hummus?  What’s one healthy thing you’ll be doing this weekend?

1. Creative! I like it. I also have been making a black bean hummus that’s really good.
    Deborah Brooks @ Confessions of a Mother Runner recently posted…5 Tips to Beat the Heat this SummerMy Profile

2. jill conyers on June 20, 2014 at 8:30 am

I love hummus! Lately I’ve been experimenting with different ingredients. Some are awesome like the sweet potato hummus edamame hummus and some not so much 🙂
    jill conyers recently posted…12 Hour Relay: Relentless Forward ProgressMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on June 21, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Oh edamame hummus is soo good! I’ve never tried sweet potato hummus, though!

3. Sara @ LovingOnTheRun on June 20, 2014 at 8:33 am

I have REALLY been wanting to try to make my own hummus! It looks SO delicious!
    Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted…5 Running Quotes That Inspire MeMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on June 21, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Just do it, Sara! I promise it takes 5 minutes or less!

4. Susie @ SuzLyfe on June 20, 2014 at 9:27 am

Ooo I love this idea. Chickpeas and I are not always friends, but I do love me a good veggie spread.
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…#FlatsFriday Numero Dos and Friday Favorites!My Profile

• Megan Lyons on June 21, 2014 at 10:24 pm

I hear you, Susie. Too many chickpeas make my stomach unhappy, too!

5. Michael Anderson on June 20, 2014 at 12:24 pm

What a great and creative recipe! Lisa can do chickpeas pretty well (has more of an issue with Tahini) so we’ve not had to adjust. And since I can eat #allthefoodz, it is all good!

My one ‘objection’ is ‘sneaking’ …you know how I feel on that, especially when it involves adults. But that is just me – and maybe it is also because of Lisa and all of her food issues that I am constantly worried about OTHER people sneaking things into her food …

Interested to hear about your assistant! Have a great weekend!
    Michael Anderson recently posted…Friday Free-for-All – Look Twice, Save a Life!My Profile

• Megan Lyons on June 21, 2014 at 10:26 pm

I’ll bet you could do this without the tahini, and just add another Tbsp. of olive oil! And yes, I hear you on the objection to sneaking. The truth is, I love vegetables anyway, and I am the only one eating this dip (Kevin’s not a bean guy), so I’m really not sneaking at all. But if I were giving this to kids, you would be completely right and I would encourage just teaching them to enjoy it instead of sneaking!

6. Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine on June 20, 2014 at 12:39 pm

This looks great! I love adding vegetables to recipes. If I wanted to make this using chickpeas, would i just use them instead of the cannellini beans?
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Thinking Out Loud #7: Food, Coffee, and RunningMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on June 21, 2014 at 10:26 pm

Yes! I’m sure this would be just great with chickpeas! Only issue is that I am avoiding chickpeas right now. Let me know if you try it!

7. Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table on June 20, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Durrrr… broccoli is on my list. #fail This looks awesome hough! i’ve made hummus out of butternut squash and out of zucchini before. Dipping things is just fun.
    Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table recently posted…Brinner of ChampionsMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on June 21, 2014 at 10:27 pm

Yes!! I have a butternut squash dip, too, and it’s awesome. Mmm … zucchini is a great idea. Doing that one next!

8. Arman @ thebigmansworld on June 20, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Geeze how considerate of you, Meg. The two veggies that my stomach the most troubles- chickpeas and broccoli. I forgive you because this looks delicious and you know I’m a huge fan of sneaking in veggies- If there’s a way to do so, I’ll do it!
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Healthy No Bake Salted Caramel SliceMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on June 21, 2014 at 10:27 pm

Haha, sorry, Arman! I guess this recipe is not for you :). And yes, I love fitting in veggies anywhere possible, too!

9. Kammie @ Sensual Appeal on June 20, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Wow this is great! I would have never thought to try making hummus without chickpeas. I’m actually following a nutrition plan where I can only eat a certain amount of beans/carbs so some days I don’t have hummus because of the chickpeas…definitely plan on trying to make this!
    Kammie @ Sensual Appeal recently posted…Busy Busy Life (Diettogo Review)My Profile

• Megan Lyons on June 21, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Give it a shot, Kammie! I hope you enjoy it!

10. Megan @ The Skinny-Life on June 25, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Yum! Love this recipe!
    Megan @ The Skinny-Life recently posted…WIAW…When it’s too hot to eatMy Profile

11. 6/29/14 Sunday Funday | The Skinny-Life on June 29, 2014 at 6:16 am

[…] Chickpea-Free Broccoli Hummus via The Lyon’s Share – Love this recipe & the creativity of using another bean to make hummus. […]

12. 6/29/14 Sunday Funday - Skinny Fitalicious on July 25, 2014 at 2:45 pm