Eat Real Food

Happy Motivation Monday!

motivation monday the lyons share

Many people tell me that they’d like to eat healthily, but healthy food is so expensive.  When I ask what kind of food they eat that is healthy, they’ll mention fancy packaged foods – some of which are healthy, and some of which are far from it (but still labeled with “healthy,” “low-fat,” “high fiber,” “natural,” or another often-misleading health claim).

fat free candy label

(picture source … These may be “A Fat Free Food,” but I assure you that does not mean they’re the epitome of health)

It can be complicated to sift through all the packaging claims, because they’re put there specifically to be enticing.  We all want a magic product that tastes delicious and will make us perfectly healthy in just one bite.  We’re all quick to believe something that’s printed on a label, especially if it targets something we’re looking to improve in our health.

food label claims

(picture source)

We can talk a lot about which of these labels are meaningful (for example, “natural” is a completely unregulated term, and can basically be slapped upon any food product, regardless of the ingredients).  However, today, I have an even easier challenge…

Just. Eat. Real. Food.

True health doesn’t come in fancy packaged products.  Most of the healthiest foods on the planet are fruits and vegetables, as well as minimally processed nuts and seeds, oils, grains, meats, and whatever else you choose to add.

So today, have an apple and some almonds instead of a sugar-free, fat-free, cholesterol-free (but chemical-heavy) energy bar.  Have a huge salad with avocado, several types of vegetables, and grilled salmon instead of a drive-through cheeseburger.  Have a few Grab-and-Go Egg Muffins with some tomatoes, avocado, and fruit instead of an Egg McMuffin.  Just make one single shift that edges you closer to eating real food.  You can do it!

real food doesn't have a label

(picture source)

**If you need a bit of encouragement to get back to the basics, focus on whole foods, and feel great, why not join The Lyons’ Share Fall Reset?  Sign-ups end on Friday, and we’re already getting started, so join today!**

So tell me in the comments … what is one shift you could make today to eat more real food?

1. Tiff on September 22, 2014 at 6:28 am

I could always use more veggies in my life!
    Tiff recently posted…He ExistsMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on October 4, 2014 at 12:30 pm

I think almost everyone is in the same position, Tiff!!

2. Amy @ The Little Honey Bee on September 22, 2014 at 6:34 am

YES. Couldn’t agree more
    Amy @ The Little Honey Bee recently posted…RBC 25K Race Recap & Last Week’s WorkoutsMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on October 4, 2014 at 12:31 pm

I knew this idea would resonate with you, friend 🙂

3. Deborah Brooks @ Confessions of a Mother Runner on September 22, 2014 at 7:08 am

Those labels always drive me crazy too! Most people don’t even look at the ingredients and just look a those. Something can be all sugar and labeled “low fat”. Crazy!
    Deborah Brooks @ Confessions of a Mother Runner recently posted…Zucchini Broccoli Casserole-Meatless MondayMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on October 4, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Yes!! “Low-fat” candy makes me cringe!!

4. Carina on September 22, 2014 at 7:22 am

I agree about it being expensive to eat healthy. All those corn subsidies and using non-perishable ingredients make lots of bad stuff inexpensive, sometimes artifically so. My two most processed meals are pre-workout (I am on a granola bar kick, used to do oatmeal but burnt out) and lunch (frozen meal, frequently Amy’s, which I don’t think is awful, eaten at my desk). The AC keeps promising me that when he retires, everything we eat will be from scratch, and delicious and nutritious lunches will be personally delivered to me at work on a daily basis.
    Carina recently posted…CampersMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on October 4, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Do you think I can hire AC to cook ME made-from-scratch delicious meals every day, too?!?! 🙂

Agree that Amy’s is a good option. Yes, it would be “better” to get fresh foods, but it’s not always a reality, and most of the ingredients in Amy’s are good ones! Some a little bit carb-heavy in my opinion, but you need those carbs for your killer workouts! GOOD LUCK TOMORROW !:)

5. Annmarie on September 22, 2014 at 7:46 am

Those ingredient labels drive me nuts! My mother in law always falls for them and then tries to justify feeding that crap to my kids. She is one of those that just doesn’t understand that real food is whole food and not all this processed crap!
    Annmarie recently posted…Meatless Monday: Caramelized Onion, Apple, & Arugula PizzaMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on October 4, 2014 at 12:34 pm

That sounds really frustrating, Annmarie! Maybe you can try gently explaining (without accusing) why you don’t like some of those ingredients for your kids. Good luck!

6. GiGi Eats on September 22, 2014 at 7:48 am

I am ALL about the real food – not packaged BS for me! NO NO NO!!!!! I love making my own stuff from scratch, I love to know EXACTLY what I am eating!
    GiGi Eats recently posted…Recipe Redux: Get Chip-Faced with ChipkinsMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on October 4, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Awesome, Gigi! Keep making food from scratch – that’s the best way!

7. Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table on September 22, 2014 at 8:42 am

I was just talking to someone about this. People are so excited over all this packaged pumpkin flavored crap. I’d rather have a homemade pumpkin-something. It’s better for you, but it also tastes 100x better!
    Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table recently posted…Recovery, Workouts, and Sweet Potato Pie WafflesMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on October 4, 2014 at 12:35 pm

Yes!! Ok, well I may treat myself to a pumpkin-flavored treat or two this season, but 90%+ of what I eat is good, real food! 🙂

8. Karen on September 22, 2014 at 10:21 am

Being in the “older” age group……50+…….it has taken me 2 years to FINALLY “get it.”
    I suppose a lot of the packaged processed bars and stuff wasn’t available 30 years ago, but also, we were not aware of nutrition in general and it wasn’t a priority. Then when low fat, sugar free, healthy labels appeared, we fell for it big time. It is fun be educated and I am so glad to be more aware of what I eat and put in my body. Megan, thanks for the time, energy and patience of teaching me so much.
    Awareness and balance FINALLY !!!!!

• Megan Lyons on October 4, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Mom, it often takes people a lot longer than 2 years, so I think you’re doing GREAT. I’m so proud of your progress, and the fact that you actually LOVE eating healthy and feeling the results. You are amazing!

9. Linda @ The Fitty on September 22, 2014 at 11:02 am

I pretty much already eat whole foods because I’m paleo, but it is hard to deviate from quest ars and fsiry products, so that’s on the challenge table this week!
    Linda @ The Fitty recently posted…Hardest Squat: The Ballet SquatMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on October 4, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Awesome, Linda! I love quest bars, too :). Lesser of many evils, for sure, and OK in a pinch, but whole foods are still better in a “perfect world”!

10. Kelli on September 22, 2014 at 11:33 am

This is one of my biggest pet peeves about food labels! I hate that they claim “fat free” and “organic” or “farm fresh”, etc. It may be true but you don’t really know where it came from or how it got there. Real food is best!
    Kelli recently posted…13.1 – Two weeks to go!My Profile

11. Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious on September 22, 2014 at 2:10 pm

I couldn’t agree more! I just had a reader ask me how they could lose weight if they didn’t eat low-fat foods.
    Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious recently posted…Butternut Squash Cranberry Salad & Orange Cinnamon DressingMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on October 4, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Yikes! Hope you were able to help, Megan!

12. Tina Muir on September 22, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Ahhh love the new layout Megan! This post is right on, and that drives me crazy too! Yes, some healthy things are expensive, and the only way they will become less so, is if we drive demand up! You still can eat healthy, and those things are lower cost. I was looking at hummus yesterday, how cheap it is to make from home, but if you buy it, MUCH more. Just use simple ingredients, and cook from home 🙂
    Tina Muir recently posted…Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Pie PancakesMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on October 4, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Couldn’t agree more, Tina! Thanks for the support!

13. Sarah @ The Fit Cookie on September 22, 2014 at 4:11 pm

My diet can always use improvement! I need to eat more veggies and drink more water definitely
    Sarah @ The Fit Cookie recently posted…Pear Chips with Pumpkin Dip {Recipe Redux}My Profile

• Megan Lyons on October 4, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Everyone could use improvement, Sarah! Way to go for noticing it!!

14. lindsay on September 22, 2014 at 6:17 pm

and it’s scary to think people don’t know what real food is anymore, which is why we need to RE-EDUCATE> well done!

15. Bre & Ree on September 22, 2014 at 6:17 pm

I agree! Labels these days are so deceptive. I try to look at all the ingredients to make sure I recognize everything and try to avoid buying anything that contains a list of ingredients a mile long. The hardest for me is finding healthy things for my daughter that quite honestly doesn’t require that I make everything from scratch. I try not to stress too terribly, but it’ll get harder when she’s older. Making school lunches is the tricky part;)
    ~Bre
    Bre & Ree recently posted…8-move kettlebell workoutMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on October 4, 2014 at 12:39 pm

That’s the best way to do it, Bre! Just keep reading those labels and doing what you can!

16. Arman @ thebigmansworld on September 23, 2014 at 3:20 am

So so so true! Couldn’t agree more!
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Caramel Cookie Dough OatmealMy Profile

17. Carrie (This Fit Chick) on September 23, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Could not agree more! I tend to eat a couple protein bars a day and I need to kick that habit!
    Carrie (This Fit Chick) recently posted…Tuesday BluesMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on October 4, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Just start slowly, Carrie! Replace one bar per day with real food, and then transition as you can!

18. Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment on September 24, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Good post! Eating real food is so important.
    Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment recently posted…WIAW #11: The Great Avocado ShortageMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on October 4, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Yes! Thanks for the support, Lauren!

19. […] Eat Real Food via The Lyon’s Share – Sometimes we need a little reminder. […]