Happy Motivation Monday!
If you pick up a so-called health magazine or skim through one of the millions of fad diet books on the market, you might think that they key to health is restricting your diet, or taking out the unhealthy offenders. You know the drill: NO sugar, NO flour, NO fat, NO carbs, NO salt … sometimes it can seem like NO joy!
Rather than focus on the negatives, though, I ask my clients to focus on adding a few things IN to their lives. This creates a healthier, more optimistic mentality, feels less restrictive, and (I’ll let you in on the secret!) actually helps you crowd out some of the less healthy items, without even realizing it!
Here are my top 5 ways to add IN for a healthier and happier life:
- Add in vegetables. Without a healthy dose of vegetables, your body is left craving the nutrients it needs to function properly. This can often lead you to the candy drawer or vending machine. Plus, vegetables are loaded with fiber, making you full for longer and helping out with healthy digestion. Add some greens to your morning smoothie, get a side salad with lunch, have a veggie pack for a snack, and roast up some vegetables for dinner, and you’re well on your way to better health!
- Add in water. Did you know that 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated? Very few people realize how little water they are actually drinking, and he abundance of soft drinks, coffee, sweetened beverages, and alcohol that we drink doesn’t help. By focusing on getting in a certain amount of water each day (start with 64 ounces, and build from there!), you may even find yourself craving more water, and crowding out some of the other options. If you haven’t downloaded The Lyons’ Share’s water drinking app, get it today for just $0.99!
- Add in a healthy breakfast. You’ve likely heard that eating breakfast can get your metabolism revving, help stabilize your blood sugar, and can reduce cravings for the rest of the day. Breakfast-eaters also tend to exercise more and eat less over the course of the day! Don’t convince yourself that you can “save your calories” for later, just fit in a healthy breakfast every morning!
- Add in gratitude. A practice of gratitude can reduce stress, addiction, and depression, and improve sleep quality and physical health. I recommend writing down 3 things for which you are grateful every day. Try it for a week, and notice your perspective shifting!
- Add in movement. No, you don’t have to spend 2 hours a day on the elliptical or train for a marathon, but fitting in some type of movement is critical to your health. Do you like to dance? Try a Zumba class, or shut your blinds and dance around to your favorite music. Do you enjoy being in nature? Zone out on a long walk, or call up a friend as you walk. Do you feel tense and anxious? Try a yoga class, swimming, or Pilates. Find whatever makes you happy, and add it in almost every day.
So tell me in the comments … What can YOU add in today for your health?