by | Mar 7, 2014 | 18 comments

If you’ve been reading The Lyons’ Share for a while, you probably know that I have a sweet tooth. I have something sweet almost every night*, and because I choose to indulge in some type of dessert so frequently, I usually like to make my desserts as healthy as possible … without sacrificing taste. I shared “10 Healthy Dessert Ideas” back in the first month of the blog, and have highlighted a few more options since then.  All-You-Need-is-Love-and-Chocolate(picture source)

Well, I’ve really been holding out on you, because the dish I’m sharing today is one of my very favorites … it is so indulgent-tasting, so simple to put together, so fun to eat … and so much healthier than your run-of-the-mill restaurant or packaged dessert.  Like my Super (Bowl) Veggie Fries, apple nachos are not my original idea – there are over 5 million versions on Google, and many of my favorite bloggers have enjoyed them, too.  But since I love them so much, I want to share my version today, so that it’s top of mind for the next time you’re craving something sweet but wanting to choose a healthy option.  Let’s dig in!

Not So Sinfully Delicious Apple Nachos from The Lyons Share

[amd-zlrecipe-recipe:3]

IMG_8102

(*Side note: Incidentally, I’m actually trying to work on taming my sweet tooth right now, so I’m doing things like  “giving up” added sugars, desserts in general, alcohol, and processed foods, and focusing on a wide variety of healthy foods.  These photos were taken before I started!  I’ve done similar whole-foods-based “resets” before, and am thinking about leading a group reset soon to get us all ready to head into Spring!)

So tell me in the comments … Have you tried apple nachos?  Do you like healthier desserts, or do you hold out for the “real thing”?  Do you go through periods of trying to cut back on the sugar and “reset”?

1. Michael Anderson

That looks great – and really is an excellent way to get something sweet without all of the ‘baggage’ of typical desserts.

It is similar to what I am doing for lent – giving up ‘traditional’ desserts but keeping up with having a sweet. For me – and I know Lisa is dealing with it big time with her Paleo kick – denial is a fast track to failure. If I allow myself something sweet and healthy, I am satisfied. Two days ago it was a bowl of mixed berries, and last night it was a ‘parfait’ of yogurt, coconut milk and berries.

I think half the time that the key to a ‘sugar cleanse’ is getting your body to differentiate the sweetness of an apple from that of a twinkee 🙂
    Michael Anderson recently posted…(Twenty) Five Things Friday – My Quarter Century Runner-versary!My Profile

• Megan Lyons

Thanks, Michael! I completely agree that denial leads to failure. I recommend (and practice) things like you recommend – the bowl of berries or parfait as “dessert.” However, what I’m working on right now is fighting the desire to even have something sweet in the first place. So, even this apple dessert would be something that I’m not choosing at the moment. Instead, I’m trying to have tea, nuts, seeds, or even mug cakes with no sugar/ sweetener/ stevia/ anything (so, basically like bread, except it has no grains and uses coconut and almond flour). Let me tell you – it’s a CHALLENGE, and I still want something sweet, but I love a challenge, so I’m willing to put myself through the experiment for a few weeks :).

• Megan Lyons

I hope you like it, Sara! It’s so delicious!

• Megan Lyons

I hope you enjoy the treat, Laura!

• Megan Lyons

You’re so right, Lauren. Packaged cookies (or whatever else) is slightly easier, but honestly, this took 5 minutes or less! So easy!

2. Arman @ thebigmansworld

Apple nachos….that’s a new one! I’ve seen ones with sweet potato and other starches but never this! Yum!

Ohhh walden farms…..that stuff scares me! I tried the marshmallow thing once. They said it tasted like marshmallows. It tasted like lies!

PS Really loving the new page- Especially as I no longer need to fill in all the above blanks haha!
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Grain Free Cheddar and Garlic Savoury WafflesMy Profile

• Megan Lyons

Try apple nachos, Arman! Even with just cinnamon, almond butter, and a bit of yogurt, they’re so delicious! Yes, I completely agree that Walden Farms is scary. I haven’t had anything besides this caramel sauce, and I admit it tastes fairly good (or at least OK), but every time I eat it I’m kicking myself for falling for a silly “no calorie” marketing ploy, when a small amount the real thing would be far healthier for me. Ah well, live and learn.
      Thanks so much for the comments on the new page – honestly, I had no idea that you all were having to fill in your info before. Sorry!!

3. Davida @ The Healthy Maven

1) HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2) You are so creative and these look absolutely fab!

3) I commend you on your ability to decrease your sugar intake. I think you know I would fail on day one…soooo here’s another challenge which I will have to live vicariously through another blogger

4) Did I mention HAPPY BIRTHDAY?!?! You better be celebrating right now!
    Davida @ The Healthy Maven recently posted…Random Ramblings #10My Profile

• Megan Lyons

Thank you, Davida! I WAS celebrating – it was a great birthday. Yes, decreasing sugar has been ridiculously hard for me, but it’s honestly a great challenge and I’ve been impressed with my ability to stick to it so far. I have a strange love for challenges, so if I put myself up to something I’m pretty stubborn about following it. Not gonna lie, though – I’m definitely looking forward to the bowl of ice cream, glass of wine, and return of a bit of stevia to my coffee – they all await me at the end!

4. Ashley @ This Is The Place

Oh this is a great idea! When I’m cutting back on desserts, I usually do end up with “healthier” sweet stuff – lots of fruit and granola, usually.

Have you tried stuffed, baked apples? They are also delicious!
    Ashley @ This Is The Place recently posted…2014 IntentionsMy Profile

• Megan Lyons

That’s a great idea, Ashley – I haven’t had stuffed, baked apples in a LONG time. But you remind me – even a sprinkle of cinnamon on diced apples, microwaved and topped with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt tastes SO delicious. I might have to have this tomorrow night 🙂

5. Cori @olivetorun

I have never tried apple nachos but apples are hands down my favorite fruit that I have to have at least one of daily so this is RIGHT up my alley!!!
    Cori @olivetorun recently posted…Confessions… Fashion, kind of.My Profile

• Megan Lyons

Slice them up and pretend they’re nachos – you won’t regret it! I think apples are my favorite fruit, too – it’s a tie with strawberries, but a good, crisp apple is hard to beat!

6. Lisa @ Running out of Wine

These look really good! I usually go for the real thing when I have dessert but I should really try something healthier like this. One of my favorite snacks that I don’t have nearly enough is apple slices with peanut butter!
    Lisa @ Running out of Wine recently posted…Confessions of a Weak Glute RunnerMy Profile

• Megan Lyons

I think the key is that you said “WHEN I have dessert” … and that is every night for me :). So it makes sense to choose healthier options! I have no problem “indulging” in the real thing every once in a while! And YES to apple slices and peanut butter – so good! Try them sprinkled with cinnamon, too.

Submit a Comment