Skip to content

Happy Motivation Monday!

On yesterday’s run, I was listening to a podcast (The Wellness Wonderland, one of my favorite podcasts!), and Alex Beadon, the featured guest, discussed the fears surrounding starting her new job this past January.  Alex’s answer could not have resonated with me more … she described anxiety and nerves, but also a confidence that she just knew she was doing the right thing and knew she would be able to help others in her new career path.  I felt the same way when I left my job in January … I was certain I would be able to help my clients on their way to a healthier and happier lifestyle (and I’m grateful that I have!) primary purpose in life to help others - 7.14.14 post(picture source)

Alex went on to describe her confidence and the outward projection of that confidence in terms of “acting as if” what you hoped for were already true.  I’ve heard this idea repeated by several inspirational speakers.  The thought is that if you act as if your goal has already been achieved, you will experience the positive emotions surrounding the goal earlier, take actions to make achieving that goal easier, and ultimately manifest that goal.Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 8.18.22 PM

(picture source)

When Alex talked about it, though, I realized that that is what I have been doing all along.  On January 6th, when I actually left my job, I did not have any health coaching clients.  But I set up my business, marketed my services, created a solid business plan, talked to anyone who would listen, and went about my days as if I had a full practice (sometimes working a little too hard, which is another issue entirely).  When asked “what do you do?”, I would say:

“I offer personalized, one-on-one health coaching to help my clients escape from the diet roller coaster and find the balance of nutrition and lifestyle that allows them to be their healthiest and happiest.”

No matter that I didn’t actually have any clients, this was still what I did, and what I was proud of. impossible to fail(picture source)

And little by little … it’s happening!  Although there are millions of things I still want to do in my business, the fact that I acted as if my business were already what I hoped it would be has really helped me on the road to growth.

We did the same thing at my last job, where I was always told to act like the level one up from where I really was in order to let people see my capabilities in the future role.  I frequently hear parents telling their kids to act like adults if they want to be treated like adults. In all these instances, it’s not about lying (if someone asked me point-blank how many clients I had on January 6th, I would have admitted that I had none), but rather it’s about envisioning your future success so you can have ultimate confidence that you will achieve it, and enjoy the experience of doing so.

So today, I encourage you to think of one big dream, and act as if you were already enjoying the success of that dream.  Give yourself the gift of the happiness, pride, and joy right now – then put in the work and trust that you will get the results!

**In case you didn’t see it, I just released my 30-minute webinar full of tips for new bloggers!  If you’ve always wanted to start a blog, or have lots of questions (self-hosted or not? how to block spam comments? what content to write?), this webinar is FOR YOU!  Check it out here – it’s only $9.99 for the first month!**

the lyons share blogging cover

So tell me in the comments … What can you act as if were already true today?  Have you ever heard of this concept before?

1. Lauren on July 14, 2014 at 6:16 am

Isn’t Katie at the Wellness Wonderland great? That podcast was amazing! I also love Alex’s weekly videos.
    Lauren recently posted…Why You Don’t Have to Quit Sugar to Be HealthyMy Profile

• lindsay on July 14, 2014 at 1:43 pm

me too! love her cute voice. haha. I also love paleo mom. She is awesome!
      lindsay recently posted…Do You Need a Digital Detox?My Profile

• Megan Lyons on July 20, 2014 at 8:34 pm

Yes! She is so wonderful! Thanks for recommending Alex’s videos – I subscribed and liked the first one!

2. Susie @ SuzLyfe on July 14, 2014 at 6:53 am

It’s like fake it till you make it, but better said and less superficial sounding. But really, if you want change, you have to invite it, and make it a habit that sticks. And that can only happen if you actively pursue it, or act as if!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Long runs (feet+mouth) and Lake Shores #MIMMMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on July 20, 2014 at 8:35 pm

I completely agree, Susie! Fake it till you make it sounds trite, but Act As If sounds mature, right? 🙂

3. I love that quote. If you act confident, you feel more confident. If you act like someone who is fit and healthy, you start to make choices like someone who is fit & healthy. It works!
    Deborah Brooks @ Confessions of a Mother Runner recently posted…Skirt Sports Virtual 10 on 10-Join me!My Profile

• Megan Lyons on July 20, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Yes yes yes! It does work, Deborah!

4. Laura @ Mommy Run Fast on July 14, 2014 at 9:32 am

It’s so true! I found the same thing when I started my business- I was confident it would come together, and slowly but surely, it did. You’re doing awesome, Megan!
    Laura @ Mommy Run Fast recently posted…37 Weeks Pregnant Update + Guess the Due DateMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on July 20, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, Laura! I appreciate it!

5. Sara @ LovingOnTheRun on July 14, 2014 at 11:45 am

Completely agree Megan! I have a small business as well and I always try to work as though I am much bigger than I am! I think it goes with interviewing too – I’ve always been told you go in and interview for the job you WANT not necessarily the job you are interviewing for!
    Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted…The Marathon StageMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on July 20, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Great point about interviewing, Sara! I forgot about that – people always used to give me that advice when I was interviewing!

6. lindsay on July 14, 2014 at 1:52 pm

you are doing great things friend! it takes confidence and faith and lots of support—> WHICH YOU HAVE
    lindsay recently posted…Do You Need a Digital Detox?My Profile

7. Kathleen on July 14, 2014 at 4:52 pm

I loved this! I don’t think I had this mindset when I first started, but I’m realizing I do now 🙂

• Megan Lyons on July 20, 2014 at 8:40 pm

So happy, Kathleen! Keep up that mindset! Have a good week!

8. Lora @ Crazy Running Girl on July 15, 2014 at 6:30 pm

I LOVE this philosophy! I think it works and it’s such a great approach.
    Lora @ Crazy Running Girl recently posted…2014 NYC Marathon training plans!My Profile

• Megan Lyons on July 20, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Thanks, Lora! I’m finding that it works, too! Keep it up 🙂

9. Anne Lawton on July 16, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Great post Megan, there are a lot of famous people that have had that philosophy and claim that’s what helped them to be successful. It’s not always easy to do, but you have to keep telling yourself and others,and it will work.

• Megan Lyons on July 20, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Thank you, Anne! Yes – I had to hear it over and over from others who use it before I adopted it as my own!

10. Milan (www.sonaturelle.com) on July 16, 2014 at 4:53 pm

I really loved this blog post Megan. Especially this… I was always told to act like the level one up from where I really was in order to let people see my capabilities in the future role. Great way to get your name out there and sparking curiosity.
    Milan (www.sonaturelle.com) recently posted…EATING HABITS OUT OF CONTROL FOR WEIGHT LOSS GOALMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on July 20, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Completely agree, Milan. Let’s keep acting as if!!!

11. Roberta on July 16, 2014 at 6:04 pm

THX Megan!

• Megan Lyons on July 20, 2014 at 8:43 pm

No problem – thank YOU, Roberta!

12. Amy @ Long Drive Journey on July 17, 2014 at 9:42 am

I LOVE this. It’s something my mom has been telling me for years, that I’ve only recently started listening to. It is so important to act on the things that you want, not the things that you don’t want. I also think the power of your words are so important. If you had constantly said, “I’m kind of in limbo now, figuring out my next step,” that wouldn’t have been nearly as empowering as what you DID say. This is an awesome post, Megan!
    Amy @ Long Drive Journey recently posted…5 Ways to Look Better Without Even TryingMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on July 20, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Thank you, friend! The truth is, no one EVER has everything all figured out, so if we act like we know where we’re going and go there confidently, we can attract the success we want!

13. Lori (Music Health Coach) on July 22, 2014 at 9:23 pm

This is amazing! You have such a way of writing that really inspires me. I want to uplevel my own health coaching business. I need to act as if I’m already there.
    Lori (Music Health Coach) recently posted…How to Make a Healthy Summer Treat – Frozen GrapesMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on August 3, 2014 at 11:34 am

I think you already do a great job at this, Lori!