Happy Workout Wednesday! Today I have 2 exciting updates to share, 3 great workout-related links, and 2 giveaway winners!
- ZOOMA Texas. Have you heard of ZOOMA’s race series? ZOOMA is an organization that puts on well-organized and fun races across the country, and focuses on celebrating women (although the races are open to men, too!). ZOOMA’s mission is “to inspire women to live healthy, happy, and active lives.” After hearing that, I knew this was an organization I would LOVE to be involved in, so I applied to be an Ambassador for the ZOOMA Texas Half Marathon on April 12, 2014 in Austin. I was thrilled to be selected, and I’m already having fun getting to know this amazing group of women (check out our bios!). I can’t wait for April! Even more good news … YOU can come join me in Austin! I have a discount code for you to register for 10% off the race, and I would love to hang out with any of you that want to make it a fun running weekend. **My personal code is TXAMB8, so be sure to enter it when you register!**
- IDEA Inspired Blogger. I also applied to be an IDEA Inspired Blogger. Again, the mission is what won me over: IDEA is about creating a professional community to “help people around the world live healthier, happier lives.” To be honest, I’m not exactly sure what my involvement with IDEA will be yet, but I know I’m excited to connect with another group of inspiring people who share my passion! **You may have noticed my updated sidebar – thanks to all of you for your suggestions, some of which were to make subscribing easier, adding a picture, and adding my Twitter feed … DONE!**
Workout Links I Loved This Week
- Plank form. Have you been working on doing planks, but want to double check your form? I LOVE planks, as you’ve probably seen in my Flat Abs in 5 Minutes workout, our 30-Day Ab Challenge, and my 500 Rep Circuit Workout! I do planks a lot, so it’s always a good idea to make sure my form is up to speed. Here’s a Greatist article that reviews proper form! (picture source)
- More support for bodyweight exercises. Although I realize that machines at the gym are ideal for some people’s individual goals, there has been more and more research (like this Huffington Post/ Reuters article) supporting the idea that if you just want to maintain your health, figure, and overall fitness, quick (20-minute) bodyweight exercises are just as good … “so long as you push hard and keep challenging yourself.” Good support for the quick hotel-room (or home) workout circuits that I love!
- Teenagers are getting more vegetables and exercise. Yes, we have a long way to go, and I won’t be satisfied until our world is a LOT healthier than we are today. But, this is huge progress! The study was done on tens of thousands of students, and showed small increases in physical activity, fruit and vegetable consumption, and breakfast eating. It also showed small decreases in TV time, soft drink consumption, and candy consumption, and a leveling off of the childhood obesity trend. YAY for progress!!
Nelly’s Energy Truffles Giveaway Winners!
Congratulations to Sara and Janette! … I hope you love the Energy Truffles as much as I did! Please send your mailing address to firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll send it over to Nelly’s! (Giveaway winners chosen by Rafflecopter and Random.org … I have nothing to do with selecting them, so it’s great when it churns out my blog friends like it did for the compression socks and the Nelly’s Energy Truffles!)
So tell me in the comments … what is your workout for today? Do you think we’re making progress towards healthier children?