There aren’t words to describe the tragedy, pain, inanity, and suffering of September 11th, and today, I won’t even try. However, I hope you take a moment to remember that day with a heavy heart, put things into perspective, and use the memories to be grateful for something in your own life. I’m a proud American, but I’m still baffled by the violence that continues in our world, made ever more clear in the past several weeks with the issues in Syria.
Now, on to lighter topics! It’s Work Out Wednesday, and you didn’t think I’d let you skip out on your workout, did you? I have a fun one for you – it’ll get your heart pumping and you won’t get bored, but you WILL get a great full-body and core workout! The whole workout took me about 20 minutes, and requires no equipment!
(If I have explained the move in a previous blog post, I won’t repeat it here, but you can click the link to see that explanation. Clicking the links will bring you to YouTube video demonstrations, as well.)
- Mason Twists
- Burpees with push-ups
- Leg Raises: lying on your back with your hands underneath your butt, hold straight legs perpendicular to the floor, heels to the ceiling. Slowly lower legs together until they are a few inches above the floor, then bring legs back to starting position for one rep.
- Jumping Jacks
- Hip Rock and Raise: lying on your back with heels together in “butterfly” position, bring legs over your head, rocking your hips upward. Lower to starting position for one rep.
- Squat Jumps: Standing with feet hip-width apart, squat down until hands touch floor, then jump straight up with hands to ceiling for one rep.
- Plank Shoulder Taps: In a plank position on your hands, bring right hand to touch left shoulder, then return to plank position and bring left hand to touch right shoulder for one rep.
- Butt Kickers: Like jogging in place, but bring your heels up to touch your butt each time.
- Sumo Squat with elbow-to-knee: Standing with feet wider than hip-width apart, toes turned out and hands behind head. Squat down to the middle, then stand up, raise right knee and touch to right elbow. Repeat squat and lift left knee to left elbow. Both sides together are one rep.
- Plank Jacks: In plank position on hands, jump feet out and in as if you are doing a jumping jack from plank position. In and out is one rep.
Two more random tidbits before I let you go:
- If you follow a lot of food blogs like I do, you’ve seen a pumpkin explosion over the past few weeks. Trust me, I love pumpkin as much as anyone (have you seen my favorite breakfast, which I eat year-round?), but I haven’t gotten into the whole Fall feeling yet, with temperatures in Dallas still consistently in the upper 90s. Anyway, this Buzzfeed article cracked me up – check it out for a laugh!
- If you follow me on Instagram, you saw that I completed my long-standing goal of a 5-minute plank last night! That means that the 30-Day Ab Challenge is officially over. Did anyone complete it with me? If so, sing your own praises in the comments below! If you didn’t why not start now? Anyone have suggestions for our next challenge?