Remember how I told you that Fall doesn’t actually start until September 22nd? You’ll be grateful for that today, because I have a delicious, refreshing, summery (and, of course, healthy!) smoothie to wrap up your summer. Seriously – make this NOW. I wasn’t even going to blog today, but I am sitting here enjoying my smoothie as we speak, and just had to share it with you. It’s that good! (By the way, it does fit the guidelines of my MVP Rule for meal-planning that I shared yesterday – check it out if you haven’t yet!)
We really have my Mom to thank for this smoothie … last weekend, she brought me a taste of her similar smoothie, and this week she brought me a yellow watermelon as a gift (fresh fruits and veggies are the way to my heart :)). After my long, HOT run today, a giant smoothie was all I was craving, and this was the perfect answer. As I discussed in this post., I love green smoothies not only for the taste, but also the nutritional benefits. OK, enough talk … let’s make a smoothie!
One Last Summer Smoothie
- 1/4 medium avocado
- 4 frozen strawberries (could also use fresh)
- 80g cucumber (probably 1/2 cup or a little more)
- 150g yellow watermelon (probably about a cup … could use regular watermelon as well!)
- 4 fresh mint sprigs (mine was pretty minty, which I loved, but you could reduce if you don’t want too much mint flavor)
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 serving vanilla or plain flavored protein powder (I used a single serving of ViShape Sweet Cream flavor)
- 1/2 cup or so of water, plus 1 cup or so of ice
This makes a huge serving (the glass was just for the photo, but it actually filled a cereal bowl and a separate smaller bowl. If you make it according to these instructions, the entire smoothie will have 248 calories, 8g fat, 34g carbs, and 17g protein. Perfect for refueling after a hot workout! Enjoy!
So tell me in the comments … have you ever tried watermelon or mint in a smoothie? What’s your favorite green smoothie ingredient?