Skip to content

Christmas is just around the corner (yay!! I am SOO excited!!), and whether you celebrate or not, you’ll want to try this easy, nutrient-packed, and delicious side dish.  There aren’t too many dishes that look just as festive as they taste, but this one does!  The simple flavors come together so well – the tart cranberries are balanced out by the sweet maple syrup, the buttery walnuts, and the hint of acidity from the orange zest and apple cider vinegar.  I first made this two years ago for my family Christmas, and it was a great way to add some veggies (and color!) to the table without sacrificing flavor.  It fits in great with a standard holiday meal, but I have to say I enjoyed this just as much as a side for a “regular” meal last weekend! Christmas Brussels Sprouts The Lyons Share

Christmas Cranberry-Orange Brussels Sprouts

Serves 3 (easy to multiply or divide!)

Ingredients

• 3/4 – 1 lb Brussels sprouts (I used 0.85 lb before removing the stem and the outer leaves)
  • 2/3 cup fresh, whole cranberries
  • zest of one medium-sized orange
  • 3 Tbsp. chopped walnuts
  • pinch of salt and pepper
  • 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp. maple syrup

Christmas Brussels Sprouts 003

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Remove the bottom piece of the stem of each Brussels sprout, and remove a few of the outer leaves.  Chop Brussels sprouts in half or quarters, depending on their size.  Lay chopped Brussels sprouts on a baking sheet lined with foil and sprayed with cooking spray.  Spray cooking spray (or olive oil) on top of the Brussels sprouts, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Put in oven for 10 minutes. Christmas Brussels Sprouts 002
  3. Remove pan, and sprinkle cranberries on top of Brussels sprouts.  Zest one orange on top of sprouts and cranberries.  Return to oven for 7 minutes. Christmas Brussels Sprouts 006
  4. Sprinkle walnuts on pan, and return to oven for 3 more minutes (20 minutes total). Christmas Brussels Sprouts 009
  5. Meanwhile, whisk together maple syrup and apple cider vinegar.
  6. When Brussels sprouts are finished cooking, place in serving dish and drizzle syrup mixture on top. Christmas Brussels Sprouts 019
  7. Stir, and enjoy! Christmas Brussels Sprouts 016

If made according to this recipe (for 3 servings), each serving will have 131 calories, 5g fat, 15g carbs, and 6g protein.

So tell me in the comments … What’s your favorite holiday side dish?  Can you think of any other foods or food combinations that are green and red?  (I can only think of M&Ms, the three berry-filled salads that I mentioned in this post, and watermelon … what a random combination!)

Posted in ,

1. Amy @ Long Drive Journey on December 20, 2013 at 8:06 am

You are the Brussels sprouts QUEEN!

Favorite holiday side dish is actually hashbrowns. We always eat them for breakfast on Christmas, and I look forward to them all year. I can’t seem to cook them as well as my fam can!
    Amy @ Long Drive Journey recently posted…Staying Healthy During the HolidaysMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on December 30, 2013 at 11:01 am

Hope you loved your hashbrowns!!!

2. Amy @ The Little Honey Bee on December 20, 2013 at 12:13 pm

I made something super similar to this! Posted on Instagram 🙂 love brussels and cranberry and orange. Hope you have a wonderful holiday with your family and friends… merry Christmas! xo
    Amy @ The Little Honey Bee recently posted…Up, Up and AwayMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on December 30, 2013 at 11:02 am

Yikes, it seems to be a popular flavor combo! Ever since I’ve made it, I keep noticing it popping up everywhere! Thanks for the Christmas wishes! It was amazing!

3. Arman @ thebigmansworldman on December 20, 2013 at 5:24 pm

The minute brusselS sprouts goes down in price ($11.99 a kilo…) I will be giving this a go- Brussels were voted the most hated vegetable in Australia. Fail.

Favourite holiday dish is this Summer potato salad- mixed with gherkins, mayo, salt and pepper. So simple yet so good!
    Arman @ thebigmansworldman recently posted…Anzac Biscuit PancakesMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on December 30, 2013 at 11:04 am

I am just NOT a potato salad girl. Have never really gotten into it. But two things just made me smile – thinking about summer dishes for Christmas, AND the word “gherkins” … such a strange one!

4. Danielle @LabelsAreForTinCans on December 20, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Pomengranates are another great red food! But this looks delicious.
    Danielle @LabelsAreForTinCans recently posted…Food Lately: Whole Chicken Soup & Meal Prep ExperimentsMy Profile

5. Michael Anderson on December 21, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Wow, looks great … I was at Wegman’s today picking up loads of stuff for Christmas and the next two weeks, and they had a big bag of Brussels Sprouts at a decent price … I skipped them because everything was planned out. Wish I grabbed them now, because this is quick and easy and looks fantastic (would just have to kill Walnuts and substitute for apple cider vinegar due to Lisa’s food allergies)
    Michael Anderson recently posted…Double Surprise – Run in Shorts with New Balance Minimus 10v2My Profile

• Megan Lyons on December 30, 2013 at 11:05 am

I can never get through a whole recipe that Lisa could have, huh? You guys must be the masters at food substitutions!

6. […] night, on Christmas Eve, we enjoyed a beef tenderloin, Christmas Cranberry-Orange Brussels Sprouts, and mashed cauliflower and rutabaga topped with garlicky red kale.  I somehow got the random idea […]

7. Holiday Brussels Sprout and Acorn Squash Bake on December 19, 2014 at 6:02 am

[…] the way, you may have noticed that last year I did a Christmas Cranberry-Orange Brussels Sprouts dish.  What can I say – I love the idea of the green Brussels sprouts and the red cranberries for […]