Today’s post features a few key takeaways from a recent Wellness Your Way podcast interview. Find the full episode here and be sure to subscribe to Wellness Your Way so you don’t miss future episodes!
Guest Bio: Danielle Gronich & Kayleigh Christina
Danielle Gronich is the formulator and CEO of CLEARSTEM, a nontoxic, anti-aging, and anti-acne skincare line, and the founder of The San Diego Acne Clinic. Danielle’s 10-year acne struggle was the catalyst of her current reputation as The Acne Guru™. After three failed rounds of Accutane, years on antibiotics, countless visits to dermatologists, and multiple laser treatments, Danielle left the corporate world to re-ignite her biology background and close the gaps in the acne space left by outdated pharmaceutical approaches.
Kayleigh Christina is the Co-Founder and COO of CLEARSTEM, a nontoxic anti-aging and anti-acne skincare line. As a Certified Holistic Nutritionist, published author, podcaster, and investor of wellness-based brands, Kayleigh has a deep passion for making a positive impact in other people’s lives. Her journey into the skincare world began when she developed numerous health issues – a breast tumor and severe cystic acne in her mid-twenties – and tried in vain to find a cure. After countless doctors, dermatologists, and specialists, no one could figure out what was going on. That’s when she took matters into her own hands and discovered San Diego Acne Clinic, where she met co-founder Danielle Gronich. Not only did her acne clear up, but through their sessions, the duo discovered their mutual passion for helping other acne sufferers achieve clear skin through internal and external methods without sacrificing their health. That’s when CLEARSTEM Skincare was born.
Top Insights from Danielle & Kayleigh’s Interview
- Acne is partially genetic. Some people are prone to it and some people aren’t. Genetic root causes can include hyperkeratosis along with other internal factors such as how oily your skin is or how your body metabolizes testosterone.
- Acne can also be caused by situational and external factors issues. This can include situational factors such as digestive and gut health issues, hormonal factors like imbalances or transitions, and external factors such as using pore-clogging ingredients and eating acne-causing foods such as dairy, soy, sugar, or eggs.
- The first way to start treating acne is to remove pore-clogging ingredients. Once these are removed, if symptoms persist, start removing acne-causing foods. If acne still persists, explore internal or genetic factors.
- Tracking your sugar intake in relation to protein is key when it comes to sugar-induced acne triggers. It’s important to balance out the sugar with protein to reduce spikes. Danielle recommends protein at the start of the day and with every meal as a rule of thumb.
- If your acne is caused by products, it will appear all over your face. Alternatively, if acne is just on and around your chin and mouth, it may have an internal cause such as hormones.
- Hormonal acne can be caused by nutrient deficiencies, or even by taking too many vitamins. These vitamins include Vitamins B12, Biotin, Zinc, and Vitamin D. These vitamins can be hidden in certain foods that even include healthier food options.
- Acne can last past the teenage years because our hormones are constantly shifting. It doesn’t just have to do with age; anything that causes a hormonal change can bring about acne. Foods, products, supplements, birth control, and more can cause hormonal dysregulation.
- If you need sunscreen, a mineral-based sunscreen is best. Zinc-based mineral sunscreens are the best because zinc is anti-inflammatory, good for the skin, and acts as a shield against the sun.
- Finding a good skincare routine that works for you is essential. It doesn’t have to be complex or have a bunch of steps, it just needs to work well for what your skin needs and thrives on. Simple and minimalist is better.
Want to hear the full episode, including specific factors that may cause acne, why you may experience a breakout when you take Biotin, how to balance sugar intake with protein, how to search your products for pore-clogging ingredients, more holistic acne tips, and so much more?
Head over here to catch the full episode with Danielle Gronich & Kayleigh Christina!
Now it’s your turn! What is one thing you learned from this interview?