Today’s post features a few key takeaways from a recent Wellness Your Way podcast interview. Find the full episode here, and be sure to subscribe to Wellness Your Way so you don’t miss future episodes!
Guest Bio: Kylie Burton
Dr. Kylie Burton, DC, CFMP, is an expert in functional medicine who helps thousands of individuals with seemingly impossible health struggles, find answers, healing, and hope, even if they’ve been told their labs are normal. Besides helping patients, she teaches practitioners (of all backgrounds), how they can level up their patient results using her techniques inside her Mastermind.
As a rising star on TikTok, she’s accumulated over 30,000 followers in just 12 weeks. She also hosts the top-rated podcast Beyond the Diagnosis with Dr. Kylie and has been featured on 5 international radio shows. On TV, she has been a guest on Good Morning Utah and FOX26Houston, and The List (national TV).
Top Insights from Dr. Kylie’s Interview
- If your doctor says your labs are “normal” but you know in your gut that’s wrong, you’re probably right! Most practitioners have a set range of lab values that are considered “normal” (often based on the average of people who have been tested, not on the values that would lead to optimal health!), and if you’re not outside of the range, they tell you you’re fine. Really, health is not so binary – there’s a big spectrum between “major problem” and “optimal health”!
- Common symptoms can tell us something is off in our bodies. Fatigue, lack of energy, brain fog, hormonal differences, and so many other things are great clues! Kylie says, “if you feel like you’re a hot mess,” you can feel better!
- Getting to the root of what our bodies need to be healthy is more effective than finding specific causes for each symptom. Rather than identifying a medicine for each symptom, healing the body overall is more effective and
- We can get people into an optimal thriving environment with 5 steps. Keep reading for more!
- Step 1: Support. Supply the body with what it needs, including vitamins like Vitamin D because our bodies can’t often make all the Vitamin D it needs. Kylie recommends optimizing for 80-100 ng/mL, which is far higher than the “normal” lab range of 30-50 ng/mL.
- Step 2: Destroy the bad guys. Infections are the #1 underlying cause of many symptoms, including chronic fatigue, joint pain, and gut complaints. These infections are viral, fungal, or parasitic in nature, and they can wreak havoc on every cell in the body. Many infections are “in the background” or “low-grade,” and often don’t even show up on labs. Kylie recommends a white blood cell count between 5 and 8 (the standard lab range is 3.8-10.8).
- Step 3: Get the good guys back in. A variety of foods is the best way to do this, but most of us eat a very narrow variety of foods that don’t allow our gut bacteria to flourish. For more on gut health, check out this post or this podcast episode.
- Step 4: Balance hormones. Kylie recommends balancing blood sugar (here’s all about how to do that!) and supporting your liver. One way to support your liver is to cook with healthier oils – check out this post to learn how to do that!
- Step 5: Detox appropriately. Most detoxes don’t work, because they haven’t been preceded by steps 1-4.
- People are so focused on the thyroid numbers, and aren’t worried about what’s impacting the thyroid. Supporting our body holistically (through steps 1-5) are often far better than going on thyroid medication immediately.
Want to hear the full episode?
Head over here to catch the full episode with Dr. Kylie Burton!
Now it’s your turn! What is one thing you learned from this interview? What’s one thing you’re committed to changing after learning from Dr. Kylie?