Have you ever heard about people “counting their macros” or using the phrase “if it fits your macros”? What they’re doing, in the most simple form, is determining the balance of macronutrients that works for their bodies and their goals, and then eating according to those numbers.
This is based in science, and it actually works quite well! There are different ratios of macronutrients that help support different goals, and eating according to those ratios can help speed up your progress. So, am I recommending this? No, or at least not for everyone. Let’s take a step back and discover what macronutrients actually are, and then a few reasons why counting your macros might not be the best way to go for you.
Macronutrients are simply nutrients that your body (and mine, too!) needs in large quantities. Macro (large), nutrients (good for you!). So, we need all of them! The macronutrients are: protein, fat, and carbohydrates. And if you’ve been in this health world long enough, you’ve probably heard of each of those. You probably also have some idea of which foods are mostly protein-based (like chicken and fish), which are mostly fat-based (like avocado and nuts), and which are mostly carbohydrate based (like vegetables … yes, I said vegetables are carbs! … and grains).
But do you know how much of each of those to eat to help reach your goals? That’s where some personalized guidance can help you out, and I have the right group program for you! But before we get to that, here are a few reasons why traditional macro counting isn’t ideal for everyone:
- It can get obsessive. The way many people do this, it involves weighing every single food item, counting every single calorie, and doing a lot of calculations. This is fun for some people, but frustrating at best and obsessive at worst for many others. I want to help you get the same results without counting calories or weighing every gram of food you eat.
- It doesn’t take quality into account. It’s somewhat true that a carbohydrate is a carbohydrate, but eating 50g carbs from cotton candy does NOT have the same reaction in your body as eating 50g carbs from broccoli. I want to help you get even better results by taking quality into account as well.
- It’s not personalized. You can easily google “best macronutrient ratio” and you’ll get 89324 different answers from different people who are trying to share the “best ratio” for the population at large. But really, we need to take into account your height, weight, age, goals, activity level, health conditions, and SO much more to get the accurate ratio. I have developed a proprietary calculator (thank you, years and years of economics undergraduate work, management consulting, and MBA work, for honing my Excel skills!) that takes all of these into account and helps generate the right ratios for YOU.
- It’s not fun. Staring at grams of protein, carbs, and fat simply isn’t fun for most people. I want to make this FUN for you, and I’ve done that by taking away the focus on nutrients and putting the focus on creating a rainbow. Rather than make you tally your fat grams, I’m going to share how you can create a plate with enough pink, yellow, green, blue, and purple (each one representing a food group) to reach YOUR goals. And I’ve put it together in a program that offers TONS of group support … from daily inspiration in our private chat forum to weekly live group coaching calls, you’ll be doing this in a fun and supportive environment the entire 4 weeks of the program.
Introducing … Color Up!
So let’s get right down to it, shall we? Color Up is The Lyons’ Share’s Custom Color Guide for Healthy Eating. It’s my 4 week program (running from October 5th – October 30th, 2020) designed to help you reach your nutrition goals in a fun, supportive, and customized way.
When you join Color Up! (which you can do right here), you’ll tell me your specific goals, and I’ll create a custom color guide JUST for you. You’ll learn how many pinks, greens, blues, yellows, and purples to eat per day, and you’ll get a list of 200 foods (everything from broccoli to jelly beans!) that are labeled by color. Then YOU choose how to fit those foods into your day! Whether you eat at home or in restaurants, whether you like to snack or eat big meals, whether you are vegetarian or omnivorous, whether you’re a marathon runner or a yogi, your custom color guide will help you reach your goals in YOUR way.
And you don’t have to do it alone! For 4 weeks, you’ll be part of the most supportive and engaging community! From our encouraging private chat forum, to a daily tracker to monitor your progress, to our weekly group coaching calls, you’ll have all the support you need to ensure this is a positive and fun experience. Sign ups end September 30th!
- An introductory intake quiz to share your goals, starting place, dietary and lifestyle preferences, and special situations with Megan
- Your custom color profile, guiding you on how many pinks, greens, blues, yellows, and purples to eat each day
- A program handbook with instructions, practical strategies, tips, and all your questions answered.
- A color code chart with 200 foods and their corresponding color values
- An optional recipe guide, with 100 recipes listed with their color values
- A private chat forum to get questions answered and be supported by others on their Color Up! Journeys
- A personalized daily color tracker to share your progress and stay accountable
- 5 live group coaching calls to get your questions answered and boost your motivation
- Sept 30. 6pm
- Oct 5th. 6pm
- Oct 12th. 1pm
- Oct 19th. 6pm
- Oct 26th. 1pm
This is for you if…
- You have goals and want to prioritize your nutrition to reach those goals.
- You’re generally healthy, but want to feel more intentional and purposeful about what you eat.
- You want guidance, not restriction. You’re willing to fit in your veggies, but you still want to make room for your wine (or chocolate, or tortilla chips!).
- You don’t like the idea of counting calories, but know you need more specific guidance than “just eat healthy!”
- You want to get results and feel great, in the most fun and flexible way possible.
- You love having the support of an encouraging, positive community working on their goals alongside you
This is not for you if:
- You want a black-and-white, no-wiggle-room meal plan.
- You need 1-to-1 coaching (link) to work through emotions, “life stuff,” unique lifestyles or preferences, or specific health conditions, or you need to be held individually accountable week by week.
- The idea of tracking your food for a month makes you want to throw something.
- You prefer deprivation, negativity, or harsh guidelines – ick!
Are you ready to join Color Up? Sign-ups end on September 30th, 2020, so join us here today!
Did you miss this? My brand new podcast, Wellness Your Way, is here! Each week, I share my top health tips & tricks, make product recommendations, review health news that you need to know, answer listener Q&A, and more! I would so VERY much appreciate it if you would subscribe and leave a rating or review. It helps tremendously in getting the message out to other people! Search “Wellness Your Way with Megan Lyons” on any podcast platform, or see the direct links here.
Now it’s your turn … Are you ready to Color Up your nutrition? I can’t wait to have you in the program!