If you’ve read any previous Lyons’ Share blog posts, heard me speak in public, or talked to me about health even for a single minute, chances are that you’ve heard me discuss the importance of vegetables. There are very few health principles that I think apply to almost everyone, but eating more vegetables is one of them. I truly believe that almost everyone would be healthier, more energized, and less disease-ridden if they increased their vegetable and fruit intake.
We’re falling short of what our bodies need
The current government recommendations suggest getting 5-13 servings of vegetables and fruits daily, depending on your age, weight, activity level. The average American gets just 3. And variety is important … don’t expect to eat 6 bananas and 3 cups of baby carrots every day and say you’re getting the 12 servings you need. Instead, you need a wide variety of vegetables and fruits to get the spectrum of antioxidants that help your body run efficiently. The government recommends selecting from all 5 subgroups (dark green, orange, starchy, legumes, and other vegetables) several times per week. Ask yourself honestly … do you do that?
Bridging the gap
(Note: I am about to recommend a product that I sell. While this product is exactly the same price from me and from Amazon, purchasing from my links below benefits me with a small commission and allows you to have product assurance … Juice Plus+ purchased from Amazon is re-sold, not protected by the company, and may be tampered with. Plus, I am here to help you out if you order from me!)
Is getting whole, fresh vegetables and fruits the best solution, in my mind? Unquestionably yes. I personally get in 10+ half-cup servings every single day, and I recommend that you do, too. If you can’t fit all those servings into your diet, though, Juice Plus+ may be a way to bridge the gap between what you need and what you get. Juice Plus+ delivers whole foods nutrition from over 30 vegetables, fruits, and berries, encapsulated in a few simple capsules or chewables that you take each day. Juice Plus+ is bioavailable; loaded with antioxidants; uses fresh, raw, vine-ripened produce (which is more nutrient dense than the kind we are getting in the supermarket); and is tied to dozens of independent, peer-reviewed studies showing incredible health benefits.
I am always skeptical of products like this, and it took a lot of convincing to get me on board. A dentist friend introduced the product to me, and I’ve since had two doctor friends check it out and give their approval (one started taking it, as well). The board of “celebrity” doctors who support Juice Plus+ is impressive (including one of my favorite doctors and spokespeople, Dr. David Katz). And, as you’ll see below, I did my own research to ensure that this product delivers the highest possible quality nutrition before recommending it.
By the way, even though I get in all those vegetables and fruits in their whole forms, I still take Juice Plus+ (some days, I only take a half-serving, given my high nutrient intake). Why? Because I want to give myself every single chance I can at a long, healthy, vibrant life. The worst case in my mind is that I may not need the additional influx of nutrients that I’m getting from the Juice Plus+, but I’d rather be safe than sorry.
That said, I absolutely do NOT push this on my clients. In fact, some of my clients are probably reading this and asking why I’ve never asked them about Juice Plus+ before. The truth is, if I can get you to EAT your vegetables and fruits, I will, and I don’t want to give you an excuse to stop trying to achieve that goal. My ultimate goal is to increase my clients’ health, and for some, that means recommending Juice Plus+; for others, that means continuing to motivate you until you get the nutrients you need through food!
A few statistics on Juice Plus+
- After only 4-8 months on Juice Plus+, more than 50% of children and about 2/3 of adults are eating more fruits and vegetables than they did before.
- After only 4-8 months on Juice Plus+, nearly half of children are missing fewer school days, and nearly half of adults are missing fewer days of work.
- 70% of children and 55% of adults taking Juice Plus+ for 3 years or more are on fewer prescription medications when taking Juice Plus+ than they were before taking it.
- 96% of children and 99% of adults self-reported some benefit after taking Juice Plus+
- Juice Plus+ was the actual product used in a study in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology, which showed that risk of heart attack and stroke were reduced by 98% for those on JP+!
Your questions, answered
And just to get a few questions answered in advance …
- Why is it so expensive? I hear you. Juice Plus+ is quite expensive ($44.50 / month for the basic fruit and veggie capsules for adults, $71.25 / month for fruit, veggie, and berry capsules, and $24.50 / month for children’s chewables … or talk to me about getting a free children’s order with every adult that enrolls!). I don’t take that expense lightly. But, often times when it comes to supplements, I believe that you pay more for better quality. There is no other antioxidant / greens pill that is unequivocally approved by ConsumerLab, which is the gold-standard independent lab that tests supplements. Juice Plus+ uses only non-GMO fruits and vegetables, and tests every crop for pesticides and herbicides. There are several pounds of fresh produce in each dosage of Juice Plus+, and all of that adds up! I believe in doing whatever possible to pay for my own health, and I encourage you to do the same if you can make it work with your budget.
- How can you prove that this will help me? Simple answer … I can’t. Top-of-the-line research ties cancer prevention to increased consumption of vegetables, but am I saying that if I take Juice Plus+, there’s no chance I will get cancer? Absolutely not. I personally have seen a lot of my clients increase their energy levels, reduce their acid reflux, begin craving more vegetables and fruits, and get sick less often, but can I guarantee that will happen to you? No. All I can do is remind you that vegetables and fruits are tied to lower risk of cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, gastrointestinal disease, cancer, cataract, and macular degeneration, and encourage you that you should give yourself every fighting chance to protect your health. If that means getting your 5-13 servings of vegetables and fruits every day, perfect. But if you won’t do it, Juice Plus+ might help.
- Can’t I get something that’s not from a multi-level marketing company? Trust me, I tried. I researched many, and there is NO other greens / antioxidant pill that is unambiguously approved by ConsumerLab (the premiere independent supplement testing lab). I recommend Amazing Grass (available here from Amazon) to many clients, and I use it myself sometimes, too – I kind of like it. But let’s face it, to many people, it tastes like green sludgy vegetable powder, and they’re just more likely to take a pill (or a chewable gummy) than they are to drink this stuff.
If you have any questions, please feel free to email me, and I’m happy to help you out. Otherwise, what are you waiting for? Go grab a snack of vegetables or fruit 🙂
So tell me in the comments … How many servings of vegetables and fruits do you get daily?