Today’s post features a few key takeaways from a recent Wellness Your Way podcast interview. Find the full episode here, and be sure to subscribe to Wellness Your Way so you don’t miss future episodes!
Guest Bio: Kelly Donahue
Kelly is a life coach and founder of Badass Moms: a community and group coaching program that helps moms around the world feel powerful, Badass, and connected. She’s also a surf coach and gives surf lessons for all through winter (even in the ice and snow).
A Harvard University graduate, Kelly lives outside Boston with her husband, 2 year old, and a garage full of surfboards. To learn more about Kelly and Badass Moms, head to her Instagram.
Top Insights from Kelly’s Interview
- Start small, and transform your pain into the ability to help others. Kelly’s idea for Badass Moms formed when she knew she had to do something to transform her mental health after the birth of her daughter. She took just one friend out surfing the first time, and realized the transformative power of having true fun From there, she was determined to help others, and Badass Moms was born.
- Step out of your normal life, and be bad at something – it’s fun! Having a totally “non-normal” experience (like surfing in the winter!) adds zest to life and allows us to not think about work, not think about our kids, not think about our stresses. It doesn’t matter if you’re “bad at” whatever you’re doing; in fact, that makes it even more fun!
- Prioritizing your fun is good for everyone. It’s not just the act of whatever you do in the moment for fun, but the way it extends into the rest of the day. It makes us better at everything else we do!
- Fun can be looked at as unproductive. Society conditions us for back-to-back Zoom calls and meal prep and being with your kids and … and … and … . But we forget our fun! This has a halo effect of helping us be happier the rest of the day, but we’re also setting an example for our kids, partners, and communities that asking for our fun is OK, and gives them permission to do that too!
- Someone has to start the cycle of fun … and it can be you! Doing fun things can inspire SO many!
- Don’t know what to do for fun? Start with one tiny thing. Doing anything helps you create the environment for more fun in the future. Just start experimenting with incorporating more fun into your life is like planting more seeds for peace and presence in your life.
- When you orient towards your values and ideals, you can make the small moments more fulfilling. If you’re living intensely in alignment with your values, then even the small things you do each day, like meal prepping, can feel intentional and important.
- Brainstorm and think big about what could be most fun for you. Even if it feels “pie in the sky” and unrealistic, it will help you align on what is most important to you, and you might find that you actually make it happen!
- The people that love you want to give you what you want, so don’t be afraid to ask! Remember that they can’t read minds, but they want to support and love you. If you ask them specifically for what you want, it’s like giving them an Amazon gift list – it just makes it easier for them to actually give that to you!
- Prioritizing your fun can improve your physical health as well! Tying exercise or movement into our fun by finding something we truly love to do is a win-win, so blast some fun tunes as you’re working out, try a new sport or activity, or enlist a friend!
Want to hear the full episode?
Head over here to catch the full episode with Kelly Donahue!
Now it’s your turn! What is one thing you learned from this interview? What’s one thing you’re committed to changing after learning from Kelly?