Today’s post features a few key takeaways from a recent Wellness Your Way podcast interview. Find the full episode here, and be sure to subscribe to Wellness Your Way so you don’t miss future episodes!
Guest Bio: Risa Groux
Risa Groux, CN is a Functional Nutritionist and Certified Autoimmune Coach in private practice in Newport Beach, California. She has always been passionate about nutrition, good health, and cooking and creating healthy, nutritious food. She has worked with a wide array of clients from professional athletes, adults, and kids to the Biggest Loser from season four. She has been featured on CBS in Los Angeles, Metro, Good Day, LA for many Wellness Wednesdays, Good Morning America’s third hour, and Hallmark Channel’s Home and Family. FoodFrame, Diet is a Four-Letter Word, Risa’s first book, launched January 7, 2022.
Top Insights from Risa’s Interview
- The FDA has approved 86,000 chemicals for use in the US. This grows at about 2,000 per year, and a lot of these are not fully tested. These are marketed and sold as food, but our bodies don’t know how to deal with them. This is a main reason why we keep getting sicker and sicker.
- The average female comes into contact with over 200 chemicals before she even leaves the bathroom in the morning. These are fragrances, hygiene products, and more … and even while a single exposure to one of these chemicals may not be harmful, the cumulative exposure is.
- We are afraid to be hungry. Our sugar consumption of 152 pounds per person per year is linked to our constant pull towards convenient snack foods. There’s always something there when we get hungry, but really, we will be OK if we’re hungry for an hour or two! We’re better off not constantly turning to the sugary items.
- Every body is different. If your neighbor did keto and lost 40 pounds and it didn’t work for you, YOU are not the problem! Everyone’s health status, microbiome, activity level, goals, and more are different, and learning more about what works for YOUR body is important.
- Inflammation slows or prohibits weight loss. Just imagine if the basement of your house was on fire and you ignored that because you wanted to clean out a closet upstairs … not a smart decision! Your body operates similarly. If there’s a big fire (inflammation), it’s not going to devote resources to cleaning out the closet (losing weight). You can find out more on inflammation here.
- You might have inflammation if… you have digestive issues, bloating, diarrhea, acid reflux (more on that here!), constipation, brain fog, fatigue, sleep issues, and many other symptoms. So, basically … everyone! One more time, here’s more on inflammation.
- Are you eating for sport, or for health? There’s a time and place for everything, and you shouldn’t feel restrictive, but eating for survival and health most of the time can be so rewarding!
- Finding foods that you really enjoy that are also healthy is a recipe for success!
- Autoimmune conditions are on the rise. Autoimmune conditions take place when your immune system is on high drive and attacks an organ in your own body. This is driven by genetics, leaky gut, inflammation, and more. Genetics load the gun, and lifestyle and environment pull the trigger … so even if you’re genetically predisposed, you have a lot of potential to help yourself out!
- A great way to take care of yourself is to get to bed early 😊.
Want to hear the full episode?
Head over here to catch the full episode with Risa Groux, Functional Nutritionist!
Now it’s your turn! What is one thing you learned from this interview? What’s one thing you’re committed to changing after learning from Risa?