I’m all about quick and easy health tips that have maximum impact, and today’s tip can be done in less than 30 seconds. I’ve been doing this for over 2 years, and the health benefits are incredible. I talk to most of my health coaching clients and my Reset participants about this, but I haven’t yet discussed it on the blog. So I knew I had to share it with you all!
Every single morning, I drink apple cider vinegar mixed with water before anything else. I usually use about 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and 5-6 ounces of water, but I don’t think the exact measurements are critical. I suggest that people start with about 0.5 teaspoons (it’s an acquired taste!) and work their way up to 1 Tbsp. The biggest benefit I personally notice is that it’s great for my digestion, but there are dozens of noted benefits. Here, I’ll share my top 7 health benefits of apple cider vinegar …
Top 7 Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
- Overall improved digestion: drinking apple cider vinegar can increase enzyme activity that will improve digestion. It can also soothe bloating, gas, constipation, or general “upset stomach.”
- Weight loss / maintenance: studies show reduced belly fat, lower triglycerides, and weight loss in those who consume vinegar daily!
- Heart health: vinegar may reduce blood pressure, cholesterol, and triglycerides, and has been shown to be correlated with lower risk of heart disease overall.
- Blood sugar control: vinegar helps stabilize blood sugar and improves insulin sensitivity, especially in those with Type 2 diabetes. (I also recommend cinnamon to help with blood sugar control!)
- Detoxification: apple cider vinegar is helpful in detoxifying the liver, balancing your body’s pH levels, and flushing out any toxins that are accumulating in your body.
- Allergy / cold reduction: sipping apple cider vinegar can help clear out your sinuses, kill bacteria that cause nasal congestion, and reduce allergy symptoms.
- Heartburn soothing: sipping apple cider vinegar before a meal or at the onset of heartburn has been shown to reduce indigestion and heartburn symptoms almost immediately.
*Note: if I am going for a run first thing in the morning, I generally just drink regular water before, then have my ACV after the run. My stomach can get slightly upset after running on just ACV, but if I have my ACV and breakfast, then I’m fine to run afterwards.
So tell me in the comments … Have you ever used apple cider vinegar? What benefits have you noticed? If not, which benefit is most appealing to you?