Happy Foodie Friday!
I’m all about quick and easy health tips that have maximum impact, and today’s tip can be done in less than 30 seconds. I’ve been doing this for over 2 years, and the health benefits are incredible. I talk to most of my health coaching clients and my Reset participants about this, but I haven’t yet discussed it on the blog. When my friend Jennifer posted about this on Facebook and got surprised reactions, though, I knew I had to share it with you all!
Every single morning, I drink apple cider vinegar mixed with water before anything else. I usually use about 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and 5-6 ounces of water, but I don’t think the exact measurements are critical. I suggest that people start with about 0.5 teaspoons (it’s an acquired taste!) and work their way up to 1 Tbsp. The biggest benefit I personally notice is that it’s great for my digestion, but there are dozens of noted benefits. Here, I’ll share my top 7 health benefits of apple cider vinegar …
Top 7 Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
- Overall improved digestion: drinking apple cider vinegar can increase enzyme activity that will improve digestion. It can also soothe bloating, gas, constipation, or general “upset stomach.”
- Weight loss / maintenance: studies show reduced belly fat, lower triglycerides, and weight loss in those who consume vinegar daily!
- Heart health: vinegar may reduce blood pressure, cholesterol, and triglycerides, and has been shown to be correlated with lower risk of heart disease overall.
- Blood sugar control: vinegar helps stabilize blood sugar and improves insulin sensitivity, especially in those with Type 2 diabetes. (I also recommend cinnamon to help with blood sugar control!)
- Detoxification: apple cider vinegar is helpful in detoxifying the liver, balancing your body’s pH levels, and flushing out any toxins that are accumulating in your body.
- Allergy / cold reduction: sipping apple cider vinegar can help clear out your sinuses, kill bacteria that cause nasal congestion, and reduce allergy symptoms.
- Heartburn soothing: sipping apple cider vinegar before a meal or at the onset of heartburn has been shown to reduce indigestion and heartburn symptoms almost immediately.
*Note: if I am going for a run first thing in the morning, I generally just drink regular water before, then have my ACV after the run. My stomach can get slightly upset after running on just ACV, but if I have my ACV and breakfast, then I’m fine to run afterwards.
*Another note: In addition to the studies cited in the links above, I looked to this, this, and this for more research! And this article lists 32 benefits of apple cider vinegar!http://authoritynutrition.com/6-proven-health-benefits-of-apple-cider-vinegar/
So tell me in the comments … Have you ever used apple cider vinegar? What benefits have you noticed? If not, which benefit is most appealing to you?