Artfully arranging colorful food in a bowl is all the rage these days, and I’m not sad about it. The popularity of Power Bowls is getting people to eat more vegetables, and that is always something I’ll support! The concept of a Power Bowl is simple: load up a bunch of healthy ingredients in a bowl, and eat! But making a healthy Power Bowl requires just a bit more thought. I often see people put together combinations like rice, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, and Brussels sprouts … and while all of those food items are healthy overall, the combination creates an imbalance and won’t keep you full for very long! To clear up the confusion, I’ll share 3 tips on creating a healthy Power Bowl, as well as my favorite 20 healthy Power Bowl recipes!
- Include a protein and a fat: The key to a healthy Power Bowl that keeps you full and meets your nutrient needs is having a source of protein and a source of healthy fat. Protein options (like chicken, fish, eggs, high-quality steak, or beans, lentils, or tempeh if you don’t eat animal products) support lean muscle building (which helps us burn fat and fuels our activity!). Healthy fat options (like nuts, seeds, high-quality oils, avocado, egg yolks, coconut, or olives) keep us full for longer, and help us absorb the nutrients from vegetables.
- Veggie up! Aside from the protein and fat, I recommend including at least 2 nutrient-dense vegetables. Brussels sprouts, zucchini, peppers, mixed greens, asparagus, and green beans are some of my favorites, but feel free to be creative! These veggies should be the bulk of the volume of your dish. Including one starchier vegetable (like sweet potatoes or butternut squash) also makes the dish more satisfying and hearty.
- Watch the sugary sauces: It’s always best to make your own sauces, and most of the recipes included here use homemade dressings or sauces. If you choose to use a pre-bottled option, though, watch that added sugar!
20 Healthy Power Bowl Recipes
- Loaded Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice Burrito Bowl
- Teriyaki Chicken Power Bowl
- Grilled Greek Souvlaki Bowls with cauliflower rice
- Sweet Chili Salmon, Broccoli, and Quinoa Bowls
- Spring Breakfast Salad
- Paleo Taco Wannabe Breakfast Bowl
- Total 10 Mexican Bowl (note: add a serving of green veggies!)
- Paleo Balance Bowl
- California Quinoa Bowls
- Cauliflower Rice Burrito Bowl
- Chinese Lemon Chicken Meal Prep Bowls
- Chicken Curry Spaghetti Squash Bowls
- Bulletproof Breakfast Buddha Bowl
- Vegan BBQ Chickpeas and Cilantro Hummus Bowl
- Chicken Fajita Bowl with Spiralized Sweet Potaotes
- Paleo Korean Bibimbap Bowl
- Blackened Chicken Avocado Power Bowls
- Southwestern Power Bowl
- Ground Beef Taco Bowls
- Grilled Shrimp and Vegetable Bowl
Now it’s your turn … Do you make Power Bowls? Do you have any favorite healthy Power Bowl recipes to share?