Skip to content

Over the past few days, I’ve been testing out some meals for The Lyons’ Share Spring Reset (It’s not too late to join us, but it will be soon!  We have a great group going, and the motivational support is going to be fantastic!).  Here are a few of them … you can see that there is plenty of food, plenty of variety, and a whole lot of green!  The Reset isn’t a specific meal plan, and it isn’t overly restrictive … you can make it work for your lifestyle and activity level! recent spring reset meals

Here’s what is included in the photos (and by the way, I wasn’t planning to share all of them, so excuse the quality!):

• Grilled shrimp and scallops, grilled veggies, and spiraled sweet potato (inspired by The Little Honey Bee!)
  • Egg and veggie scramble with salsa, and an adapted Quinoa Breakfast Bar from The Lean Green Bean
  • A whole wheat wrap with red pepper hummus, stuffed with the contents of the two bottom bowls – lentils, black beans, and leftover roasted veggies, plus lettuce and avocado.  Served with raw veggie sticks on the side.
  • A delicious spring salad (keep reading for more info!)
  • Chicken Posole Soup (from a college friend-of-a-friend’s blog) with roasted veggies
  • A tofu and veggie breakfast scramble, topped with nutritional yeast and avocado

A Taste of Spring: Grapefruit, Beet, and Avocado Salad

The fourth photo is what inspired today’s post.  On Monday, I was looking for a light and nutritious recipe that would incorporate several varieties of seasonal produce (avocado, beets, grapefruit, and greens are all seasonal to April!), and I threw this creation together in 10 minutes without a second thought.  As soon as I took my first bite, I knew it would be perfect for today’s Foodie Friday, so I had to recreate it in order to share with you.  It is fresh, tangy, and flavorful … and it’s one of those rare meals that you finish feeling perfectly satisfied but not overly full.  I hope you enjoy my “Taste of Spring: Grapefruit, Avocado, and Beet Salad”!

Taste of Spring Grapefruit Beet and Avocado Salad

[amd-zlrecipe-recipe:9]

**Remember, you have until Sunday at midnight to receive 15% off your myMix order … use promo code “LyonsMix15”!**

So tell me in the comments … What is your favorite Spring food?  The votes from my newsletter were a tie between asparagus, cauliflower, and mushrooms!  What’s your all-time favorite salad topping?

1. Sara @ LovingOnTheRun on April 4, 2014 at 6:52 am

This all looks so great and wholesome Megan! Sounds like this Spring Reset is going to be awesome!
    Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted…Get Your Health in Gear this Spring {Guest Post}My Profile

• Megan Lyons on April 6, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Thanks, Sara! Hope you try the salad!

2. Davida @ The Healthy Maven on April 4, 2014 at 9:06 am

I absolutely love this salad!!!! I’m excited for artichoke season but missing my parents bbq cause nothing is better than bbqed artichokes! So excited for you and your new endeavour. I know i’ve been MIA lately, but trust me I am keeping up to date and so freaking proud of you for going after your dreams! It is so inspiring!
    Davida @ The Healthy Maven recently posted…Coachella Workout PlaylistMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on April 6, 2014 at 5:50 pm

What?!? I’ve never tried barbecued artichokes, but that sounds awesome! Do you literally just grill them or put barbecue sauce on them? (“barbecue” means different things to different people – ha!).
      Thank you for the sweet comments. You don’t need to apologize for being MIA, but I’m glad you’re still following along! Of course, I’m loving seeing your great progression and impressive endeavors as well :). You go girl!

3. Lora on April 4, 2014 at 9:41 am

That recipe looks delish! I don’t eat soy, so would substitute nuts (pecans maybe?) or grilled chicken. Thanks for sharing! MMM beets and avocado! 😀
    Lora recently posted…Love your body!My Profile

• Megan Lyons on April 6, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Lora, I think sliced almonds or pecans would be delicious! I have pistachios in there, but you can never have too many nuts in my opinion :). Grilled chicken would also be awesome! I was initially thinking about doing that but ended up just wanting a vegetarian option this time. Hope you enjoy!

4. Ree on April 4, 2014 at 10:29 am

This looks delicious! I never would have thought of combining all of those ingredients. On our little island we don’t really have seasons, unless you count hurricane season, lol! We also don’t have the amazing selection of fruit and vegetables that folks in North America take for granted. I miss asparagus the most!
    Ree recently posted…homemade dog foodMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on April 6, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Haha about hurricane season! Sorry you’re missing out on all the produce – although, there’s pretty interesting research to show that it’s much healthier to eat what is growing naturally in your area, so maybe you’re better off sticking to whatever is growing. I’d mail you some asparagus if it was feasible ;).

5. lindsay on April 4, 2014 at 2:00 pm

grapefuit and papaya are my fav. fruit additions! love the color, maybe i eat by color? haha. yay for spring food
    lindsay recently posted…Gluten Free Training Food and Nutrition for TriathletesMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on April 6, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Hey, there are many worse things than eating by color! I LOVE fruit in almost any form, so I’d certainly never turn down papaya, but it’s actually not one of my favorites! Grapefruit on the other hand … yumm!!!

6. Michael Anderson on April 4, 2014 at 3:01 pm

What I love in the spring is how we start getting fresh fruit and produce from local sources, and EVERYTHING starts tasting better as it hasn’t been shipped in from warmer climates … I eat the same stuff mostly, but during the winter shift to things that aren’t so nasty! 🙂
    Michael Anderson recently posted…Five Reasons I Love April, My Quarterly Running Summary and More!My Profile

• Megan Lyons on April 6, 2014 at 5:54 pm

YES for local sources and Farmer’s Markets! I haven’t been in a few weeks … thanks for the reminder!

7. Arman @ thebigmansworld on April 4, 2014 at 9:36 pm

This salad looks delicious, Meg- as does all your food for the reset! I’m going to pretend it’s not Autumn here!

Random, but I’m loving your macronutrient addition to the bottom, not for the calories or stats (lol), but because it’s further proof that you don’t need meat or eggs or typical protein sources in a salad to HAVE protein in there!
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…5 tips to reintroduce foods back in your dietMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on April 6, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Yes yes yes! I’m a big believer in adding in some sources of protein and/ or healthy fats to salads (because for me personally a bowl of veggies won’t keep me full for that long without some extras, even though I love my veggies!), but you don’t always have to have meat or eggs! Whatever works for you!

8. Kierston on April 5, 2014 at 4:47 am

I absolutely love beets and avocado in my salads! Especially beets. Yum.
    Thanks for linking up to this recipe on #RECIPEFRIDAY, pinned it 🙂
    Kierston recently posted…Take a Minute and #RECIPEFRIDAY: Easy Ginger Chicken Stir-Fry…My Profile

• Megan Lyons on April 6, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Thanks for hosting, Kierston! I hope to pop around #RECIPEFRIDAY more often :).

9. jill conyers on April 5, 2014 at 6:32 am

Love the seasonal fruits and veggies of spring! Grapefruit is a fav 🙂
    jill conyers recently posted…The Ultimate Coffee Date #1My Profile

10. Jan @ Sprouts n Squats on April 7, 2014 at 3:22 am

Looks like a great recipe! I’m not a huge beet fan myself but I probably need to give them another try as it has been a few years since I’ve had one.
    Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted…Currently in AprilMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on April 14, 2014 at 11:36 pm

Try beets again, Jan! It’s funny that some people (I used to be in this camp!) just have a mental block against beets, but they really taste great!

11. James Traub on April 9, 2014 at 10:13 am

Looks like a delicious salad. I’m a huge fan of the Buzz Salad too (search YouTube for ‘buzz salad’), really anything that makes eating a handful of vegetables and colors easier!

• Megan Lyons on April 15, 2014 at 12:07 am

I love the Buzz Salad – looks like he just tosses in tons of fresh vegetables, which is basically one of my meal staples! I’m not sure I would want that hydrogen peroxide taste, though! Thanks for sharing!

• James Traub on April 15, 2014 at 6:35 am

Hydrogen peroxide very quickly breaks down into water and O2–both totally non-toxic and non-harmful. I don’t follow that step, but it’s a good way to safely ‘sanitize’ your veggies so that they last longer without spoiling. 🙂