This week’s interview featured Brit Rettig: Founder and Chief Grit Officer at Grit Fitness! Brit helps people to improve their fitness in a motivated and engaged community by making fitness a joy instead of a chore. Check out her website www.dallasgritfitness.com, and follow her on Instagram @brit_rettig and @gritbybrit!
Here is a recap of the 10 insights she shared:
1. Whether you’re trying to work out more, eat healthier, or gain muscle, your intentions need to come from a place of love rather than a place of fear. Beating yourself up or punishing yourself with workouts never works!
2. Don’t choose a workout based on its results. Find a workout that you genuinely enjoy doing. If you like what you’re doing, you’re more likely to make it a part of your life.
3. Find friends who hold you accountable. When you are part of a community, you’re better!
4. Brit struggles to eat her veggies every day because she’s always on the go. In anticipation of busy days, Brit makes a big crock pot dish with veggies and finishes it throughout the week!
5. When you’re turning to food for emotional reasons, ask yourself whether or not it will actually make you feel better. If not, step away, and find something else to soothe your emotions. If you want to enjoy a cookie, go for it! But if you’re using it to drown a negative emotion, take a pass.
6. Myth #1: Burning calories is the most important part of your workout. There are SO many other benefits of working out. We don’t work out to burn, we work out to build!
7. Myth #2: You can work out one area of your body to make it look like you want it to, while the rest of your body stays the same. If you want a booty, you have to have more body fat in other areas, too!
8. If you only have one minute for your health, close your eyes and visualize your dream life. Get yourself into a more enthusiastic and hopeful space!
9. Brit’s favorite quote: “Let excellence be your brand. When you’re excellent you’re unforgettable. Doing the right thing, even when nobody knows you’re doing the right thing, will always bring the right thing to you” -Oprah.
10. Final value bomb: Invest in your relationships. Surround yourself with like minded people who inspire you to be better. Reach out to people who can help you and bring you up!
Now it’s your turn…What was your favorite takeaway from this interview? Who would you like to see as a future guest on Lyons’ Share 10/10?