Happy Foodie Friday!

foodie friday the lyons share

I’m all about quick and easy health tips that have maximum impact, and today’s tip can be done in less than 30 seconds.  I’ve been doing this for over 2 years, and the health benefits are incredible.  I talk to most of my health coaching clients and my Reset participants about this, but I haven’t yet discussed it on the blog.  When my friend Jennifer posted about this on Facebook and got surprised reactions, though, I knew I had to share it with you all!

Every single morning, I drink apple cider vinegar mixed with water before anything else.  I usually use about 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and 5-6 ounces of water, but I don’t think the exact measurements are critical.  I suggest that people start with about 0.5 teaspoons (it’s an acquired taste!) and work their way up to 1 Tbsp.  The biggest benefit I personally notice is that it’s great for my digestion, but there are dozens of noted benefits.  Here, I’ll share my top 7 health benefits of apple cider vinegar …

benefits of apple cider vinegar

Top 7 Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar

1. Overall improved digestion: drinking apple cider vinegar can increase enzyme activity that will improve digestion.  It can also soothe bloating, gas, constipation, or general “upset stomach.”
  2. Weight loss / maintenance: studies show reduced belly fat, lower triglycerides, and weight loss in those who consume vinegar daily!
  3. Heart health: vinegar may reduce blood pressure, cholesterol, and triglycerides, and has been shown to be correlated with lower risk of heart disease overall.
  4. Blood sugar control: vinegar helps stabilize blood sugar and improves insulin sensitivity, especially in those with Type 2 diabetes. (I also recommend cinnamon to help with blood sugar control!)
  5. Detoxification: apple cider vinegar is helpful in detoxifying the liver, balancing your body’s pH levels, and flushing out any toxins that are accumulating in your body.
  6. Allergy / cold reduction: sipping apple cider vinegar can help clear out your sinuses, kill bacteria that cause nasal congestion, and reduce allergy symptoms.
  7. Heartburn soothing: sipping apple cider vinegar before a meal or at the onset of heartburn has been shown to reduce indigestion and heartburn symptoms almost immediately.

*Note: if I am going for a run first thing in the morning, I generally just drink regular water before, then have my ACV after the run.  My stomach can get slightly upset after running on just ACV, but if I have my ACV and breakfast, then I’m fine to run afterwards.

*Another note: In addition to the studies cited in the links above, I looked to this, this, and this for more research!  And this article lists 32 benefits of apple cider vinegar!http://authoritynutrition.com/6-proven-health-benefits-of-apple-cider-vinegar/

So tell me in the comments … Have you ever used apple cider vinegar?  What benefits have you noticed?  If not, which benefit is most appealing to you?

1. Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine on October 10, 2014 at 10:55 am

Very interesting…I will be giving this a try!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…What Does Turning 31 Mean To Me?My Profile

• Megan Lyons on October 26, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Have you tried it out, Lisa? How did it go?

• Vicki Marrone on February 26, 2016 at 4:55 pm

I have a tablespoon of ACV every morning and anytime I have a stomach problem. It has been so long, I forgot why. I just know I feel like I need it. It’s sort of an innate thing. Braggs, which sells for about $9.00 at my food store is about half that price on vitacost.com. I am not selling, just sharing. Thank you, Megan for reminding me why I do this every morning

2. Michael Anderson on October 10, 2014 at 12:16 pm

I hadn’t heard of it, and looking into it as well as checking some of the studies you cite, the evidence is pretty sparse – but what it is NOT is contradicting. At worst for some things it might be neutral, but for most things the benefits just make good biochemical sense.

Of course Lisa can’t try it … but I definitely will! 🙂 Thanks as always for the thoughtful tip!
    Michael Anderson recently posted…Run-Fessions, Blog-Fessions and Third Quarter Running SummaryMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on October 26, 2014 at 2:15 pm

I’m sorry that this isn’t Lisa-friendly :(. Have you tried it out?

3. Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table on October 10, 2014 at 3:15 pm

I have it every morning in my “cocktail.” Best stuff ever. I swear it’s energizing! I also use it as a toner for my skin.
    Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table recently posted…Cauliflower & Eggplant Noodle Pumpkin Lasagna (Recipe)My Profile

• Megan Lyons on October 26, 2014 at 2:15 pm

I’ve read about using it as a toner, Laura, but have never tried it! Thanks for the idea!

4. Linda @ the Fitty on October 10, 2014 at 5:42 pm

I’m still currently using my coconut vinegar, so after that I’ll try apple cider. I hear it works well in salads, but other than that, I really don’t know how to use ACV! Maybe you’ll do an upcoming post on it? 🙂
    Linda @ the Fitty recently posted…Life In Pictures #8 – Creepy Facial and EatsMy Profile

5. Deborah Brooks @ Confessions of a Mother Runner on October 10, 2014 at 7:08 pm

I haven’t done that but I did start drinking the lemon water last spring when I did your reset. I did it for a few months but kind of fell off the wagon with that. Thanks for the reminder.
    Deborah Brooks @ Confessions of a Mother Runner recently posted…5 Healthy Vegetarian Meals to Fuel Your WorkoutsMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on October 26, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Sure, Deborah! Hope you get back on track with that!

6. Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious on October 13, 2014 at 3:18 pm

My acupuncture doc started me on drinking apple cider vinegar for my stomach and digestive issues last month. Since drinking that and taking a digestive enzyme, I’ve had a ton of improvement and no longer look bloated and pregnant either.
    Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious recently posted…Sriracha Almond CodMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on October 26, 2014 at 2:32 pm

I’m SO glad you’ve found a solution that works for you, Megan! That’s amazing! I definitely see great digestive benefits with digestive enzymes and ACV for myself, too!

7. […] Benefits of Drinking Apple Cider Vinegar via The Lyon’s Share – I can attest to these, drinking ACV with every meal has vastly improved my digestion. […]

8. Amanda - RunToThefinish on October 21, 2014 at 11:49 am

I was doing this everyday with lemon, but it came up on my ALCAT 🙁 so I haven’t for awhile now and it’s weird but I miss it!
    Amanda – RunToThefinish recently posted…Ultimate Guide to Running HydrationMy Profile

9. Carina on October 28, 2014 at 10:05 am

Hmm, would you think it would be okay mixed into a breakfast smoothie?
    Carina recently posted…Europe Recap: Drive Lugano to CalabriaMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on December 8, 2014 at 9:07 am

Sooo … 1.5 months later (oops) … have you tried mixing ACV into a smoothie? For keeping you regular + blood sugar control + longer term health benefits, I think this would still be totally fine. I’m just thinking it wouldn’t be as good to beat any bloating if you have any. Let me know if you tried it!

10. Day in the Life of a Health Coach on October 23, 2015 at 7:16 am

[…] Chug some apple cider vinegar mixed with water (here’s why I recommend it daily). […]