Happy Motivation Monday!  Today, I want to encourage you to do what you love.  I’m sure you’ve heard people telling you to follow your passions, and maybe it’s gone in one ear and out the other.

But please, take just a moment to think about how your life could be happier, easier, more synchronized if you actually loved what you spent the most time doing.  For most of us, work is the thing we spend the most time on – even if you work a standard 40 hours per week, that’s still 23% of your week.  Add in an hour of commute each way, the 8 hours of sleep that you get each night (I know, funny … but most of us need it!) and the hour that you work out each day, and work takes up about 50% of your waking hours.  So doesn’t it make sense to do what you love … or at least find some way to love what you do?  do what you love(picture source)

You may be thinking, “I would love to do what I love, but it’s just not possible.”  Yes, I understand that sometimes leaving a job is financially, logistically, or otherwise impossible (I’ve been there!), but if this is your situation, try one of these three things:

1. Be realistic, and plan for the future.  Can you implement some type of plan to make it feasible to move on to something you love?  Create a business plan and an action plan for how you’re going to achieve your goals, and set them into motion.  Nothing can happen unless you start taking action.
  2. Find a way to bring joy into each day.  There is probably no job in the world where literally 100% of the time is filled with bliss.  (You’ll see how much I love my job in the video below, but even I have moments where I do tasks that I’d rather not do).  Even if you’re in a situation where you don’t enjoy your job, though, focus on the moments that you can make fun and exciting.  Can you go for a short walk at lunch?  Fit in exercise in the morning?  Call a friend on your commute home?
  3. Find time to do what you really love.  Maybe your job is accounting but you love to paint … can you sign up for a one hour per week painting class?  Maybe your job is consulting but you love learning about nutrition … can you set aside a few hours to write a blog on nutrition, read nutrition books, or take nutrition classes?  🙂

love what you do(picture source)

Many of you know that I did exactly that before I left my job in January.  Many of you have also asked me about how The Lyons’ Share business is doing lately, and what it is that I actually spend my time doing.  To help answer those questions, I put together a video explaining what I do, how the blog is different from my health coaching business, and a few other things I’m doing besides health coaching.  I’d love to know what you think … please let me know in the comments!

*By the way, if you haven’t yet checked out my profile on Long Drive Journey, I’m the first in Amy’s “Her Mark” series, and I talk all about following my passions!  Check it out here!*

So tell me in the comments … Do you love what you do?  What’s one thing you can do today to love it more?  Can you think of anyone who might benefit from my health coaching, now that you understand a bit more about what I do?

1. Glad to hear your coaching is going so well. Your clients are lucky to have you! I love all of your inspirational quotes.
    Deborah Brooks @ Confessions of a Mother Runner recently posted…Hiking Aspen styleMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on August 3, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Thank you for your support, Deborah! I love inspirational quotes too 🙂

2. Sara @ LovingOnTheRun on July 28, 2014 at 8:21 am

I am working on loving what I do. For now I am helping to make ends meet but in the future I really hope to grow my business further and hopefully make it my primary! Just taking it day by day for now. Great video Megan!
    Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted…Onwards and UpwardsMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on August 3, 2014 at 12:01 pm

I hope you grow your business, too, Sara!

3. Michele @ paleorunningmomma on July 28, 2014 at 8:47 am

Great video! And great to learn about everything you’re doing as I’m hoping to take what I love and take steps toward making it a career. It’s overwhelming to think about so it’s nice to see people who are making it a reality for themselves.
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Does Running with a Garmin Slow You Down?My Profile

• Megan Lyons on August 3, 2014 at 12:01 pm

I’m pulling for you, Michele! I know it’s overwhelming and scary, but it’s oh so worth it!

4. Ruthie@She'sWickedHealthy on July 28, 2014 at 9:10 am

This post and video couldn’t have come at a better time! You’re inspiring…keep it up!
    Ruthie@She’sWickedHealthy recently posted…Sunday Scenes – There’s No Place Like HomeMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on August 3, 2014 at 12:02 pm

I’m so glad, Ruthie!! You keep it up, too! 🙂

5. Michael Anderson on July 28, 2014 at 9:15 am

As I said on Facebook & Youtube, I love that video and am SO happy things are going well for you!

I think the ‘doing what you love’ thing is important, but as many note the employment reality is still incredibly challenging, and the unemployment numbers are incredibly misleading, with millions having either left the workforce or currently way under-employed. Stuff I talked about in my job post a week or so ago.

But I love how you approach it – try to figure out how to find time to do the things you love in spite of not loving your job. I also think that if you can ‘minimize the suck’ at work somehow … that will also be better 🙂
    Michael Anderson recently posted…Family Hiking > Blogging, and My Weekly Summary!My Profile

• Megan Lyons on August 3, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Thank you so much for your support, Michael! It means a lot. Yes – minimizing the suck is sometimes all you can do given the situation, but it’s better than sitting and sulking!

6. Cassie @ Rural Running Redhead on July 28, 2014 at 9:58 am

I love this post, Megan! Such great advice. I think my problem is that I have too many passions and there’s just not enough time to pursue all of them!
    Cassie @ Rural Running Redhead recently posted…Spill It, Sunday: Flashbacks to FavoritesMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on August 3, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Great point, Cassie! I guess it’s impossible to follow several passions all at once, but making some time for each one of those would be a good first step!

7. Amy @ The Little Honey Bee on July 28, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Love it! You were a huge help in me taking a step towards the direction of doing what I love to do. Here’s hoping it all works out 🙂 I think the video is super helpful but don’t hate me for saying that it might be a bit too long for the average viewer. You say such great things but I’m hoping everyone watched til the end! Maybe you can make a 2-3 minute condensed version hitting on some of the most important points? Just an idea but I know you are super busy!
    Amy @ The Little Honey Bee recently posted…A Day in the Life: Last Week’s Eats & WorkoutsMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on August 3, 2014 at 12:05 pm

I am confident it will work out for both of us, friend!! You’re doing great!

Yes, I TOTALLY get your point on length of the video and appreciate your feedback. Friday’s video was <3 minutes, and most of my videos will be shorter (it's hard, but I know I need to do it!). I wanted to use this one not just for the blog but also for future potential clients to have something to explain what sessions are like and what I do, so I let it go a bit long. But yes, I know that it was way too long for most people to watch!

8. Karen on July 28, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Even though you are still super busy, I love that you seem so happy – it warms a Mom’s heart. ::))

• Megan Lyons on August 3, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Thank you, Mom! Yes, I’m so happy doing this!

9. Amy @ Long Drive Journey on July 30, 2014 at 7:34 am

Love the video! It’s very informative and it was fun to get to hear you talk about what you are doing! I didn’t mind the length – I watched it in two parts, BUT I think that for any promotional video (like the next one you’re doing), keeping it shorter might be more helpful to make sure that you get a lot of views. Great job! Love that you’re branching out.
    Amy @ Long Drive Journey recently posted…Apartment InspirationMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on August 3, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Thank you so much for your feedback, friend! Yes – you’re right about the next set of videos. I’ve decided to break that one down into 4 videos so they’ll be shorter and sweeter. Thank you for your help!

10. Carina on July 30, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Didn’t get to watch the video since I’m reading during a late lunch at work, but I like the ideas about adding joy to each day, which I think is practical for everyone. I don’t think it’s going to work for me to get my dream job (which is to BE Meb, minus the kids), but I’m lucky to love 93% of my day job, and get to fit in mortal-paced running (unlike his running), dinner with my husband, vacations, other fun stuff pretty often. My last job before this was total and utter misery in many ways, and it was earth-shattering for me to see how much every single aspect of my life seemed to change when I changed to a job I love. The sun was brighter, birds were singing, corny, but true. I’m glad your sun has also gotten brighter!
    Carina recently posted…Yoga RevelationMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on August 3, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Haha, oops, I didn’t think about the struggle of your dream job actually wanting to BE someone else. Yes, I’ll give it to you that that one probably won’t happen :). But what it is it about Meb that you admire? Can you add some of those qualities into your own life? Your story about everything in life getting so much better after switching jobs rings SO true. Crazy, isn’t it?

• Carina on August 4, 2014 at 8:04 am

I mostly admire the repeated sub-2:15 performances and how he interacts with fans and the press. Maybe I’ll add some 400 meter repeats to my schedule and I can maybe, with lots of hard work, run at his marathon pace for 400 meters.
        Carina recently posted…Weekend bummerMy Profile

11. Foodie Friday in a Flash: Avocados on August 1, 2014 at 6:00 am

[…] of my favorite foods, along with its health benefits.  (Thank you all so much for the feedback on Monday’s video about what I do as a Health Coach … I’m so glad you enjoyed it, and yes, I know it was […]

12. Take Care of Your Body on August 4, 2014 at 6:00 am

[…] you so much for your support on my “What is a Health Coach?” video, my Foodie Friday in a Flash video on avocados, and my Facebook post from the weekend.  I […]

13. Standing In Your Own Way: The Lyons' Share on August 11, 2014 at 6:01 am

[…] the course of the program (you can see a bit more about my job and how I work with my clients in this video). Over the course of my health coaching programs, I work not only on my clients’ nutrition, […]

14. The Lyons' Share Testimonials, Part 1 on August 14, 2014 at 6:01 am

[…] my video on what I do as a health coach, I promised upcoming videos where my clients would share their perspectives on working with me at […]