Happy Foodie Friday!  Did this week seem extra long to anyone else?  I guess that’s what happens when you take a family vacation that turns into a 5 day weekend!  It’s a good thing I love every day of my new life, so long weeks are actually fun!

foodie friday

We’re smack dab in the middle of grilling season, and I’ve got a great new recipe for you to test out at your next barbecue or event.  This recipe offers zesty Greek flavors in a surprising twist on a classic favorite.  The addition of antioxidant-packed veggies and the use of lean ground turkey make these burgers a healthy upgrade to your standard barbecue fare.  And they come together in just a few minutes!  Enjoy!

Healthy Greek Turkey Burgers from The Lyons Share

Healthy Greek Turkey Burgers

Healthy Greek Turkey Burgers

by Megan Lyons

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Keywords: bake entree gluten-free low-carb soy-free spinach turkey vegetables

Ingredients (6 burgers)

• 19 ounces (1 package) 99% lean ground turkey breast
  • 1/4 red pepper, diced
  • 10 kalamata olives, diced
  • 1 cup spinach, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/4 onion, diced
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 1 egg

Instructions

Dice vegetables and combine with salt and pepper.

Add egg and ground turkey, and mix with your hands (it’s easier that way! Just be sure they’re clean!).

Form into 6 patties.

Grill burgers on outdoor grill or indoor grill pan on stove.

You’ll likely need 5-6 minutes per side, just be sure they’re cooked all the way through.

Serve and enjoy! I recommend serving with grilled asparagus and parsnip fries, as shown!

Notes: Each burger contains 132 calories, 4g fat, 2g carbs, 22g protein.

Powered by Recipage

Healthy Greek Turkey Burgers from The Lyons Share 2

So tell me in the comments … Do you like turkey burgers?  What’s the most creative version of a burger you’ve ever made?

Posted in ,

1. Divya @ Eat. Teach. Blog. on July 11, 2014 at 7:19 am

Yum!! I love Greek ANYTHING!
    Divya @ Eat. Teach. Blog. recently posted…Fun Facts Friday [7/11/14]My Profile

• Megan Lyons on July 20, 2014 at 8:26 pm

I know you would love these, then, Divya!

2. Sara @ LovingOnTheRun on July 11, 2014 at 7:34 am

Yum these look delicious! I will have to give them a try!
    Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted…Hydration and Emergen-C {Giveaway}My Profile

3. Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine on July 11, 2014 at 8:11 am

Looks good! We usually make plain turkey burgers. I love adding veggies to food so this good be great to try out!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Summer Running: It’s Not All That BadMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on July 20, 2014 at 8:26 pm

I usually make plain ones, too, Lisa, but adding stuff in is pretty fun!

4. Susie @ SuzLyfe on July 11, 2014 at 10:00 am

Um, you are officially my food/kitchen/cook twin. This is exactly how I cook–integrating and infusing flavors with fresh ingredients. YUM
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Cherry Pie Protein Oats + Fusion Sauce Recipe (GF, Lactose Free)My Profile

• Megan Lyons on July 20, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Yes! A twin! I do love infusing flavors with fresh ingredients! Hope you enjoy these 🙂

5. Debbie on July 11, 2014 at 11:12 am

Megan-the turkey burgers you made us last week were SO good, I never would have put apples in but they were delicious.

• Megan Lyons on July 20, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Thanks, Aunt Debbie! Glad you liked them! Hope you give these a try, too!

6. My husband would eat those if I didn’t tell him they were turkey-lol. Challenging for a vegetarian to be married to a carnivore
    Deborah Brooks @ Confessions of a Mother Runner recently posted…Friday 5! Week of workouts EditionMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on July 20, 2014 at 8:28 pm

I hear you, Deborah! My sister is a vegetarian and her husband is a big carnivore. Good for you for making it work!

7. Running Bear on July 11, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Thanks for sharing this creative way to do turkey.

I love turkey burgers. The patties themselves are usually pretty basic, just some garlic salt pepper. The fun comes with the guacamole spread and using big leafy lettuce leaves as the bun. Tomato slices and red onion generally make an appearance too.
    Running Bear recently posted…Very Inspiring Blogger Award – #4My Profile

• Megan Lyons on July 20, 2014 at 8:28 pm

I love using turkey burgers in lettuce “buns” as you describe! Sounds delicious!

8. Bre & Ree on July 11, 2014 at 4:24 pm

These look fantastic! I love turkey burgers and, since it’s pretty much summer year round here, we grill all the time. I’m not a huge fan of olives, so I’d have to make mine without, but my daughter and husband LOVE olives so there’s no way I could eliminate them altogether. Will definitely try this recipe very soon! Thanks for sharing.
    ~Bre
    Bre & Ree recently posted…five outdoor activities you should try this summerMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on July 20, 2014 at 8:29 pm

I hope you enjoy them, Bre! My husband doesn’t like olives either … but that meant more burgers for me :).

9. Arman @ thebigmansworld on July 12, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Mmm I hadn’t tried turkey burgers until I went to America! I do love burgers or patties rather- hello chicken parmesan and curried tuna ones..which reminds me I need to make the latter again!
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Healthy Tiramisu Oatmeal PuddingMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on July 20, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Oh man I have been missing the curried tuna patties, Arman! Speaking of which … I made your mum’s eggplant and caramelized onion dip tonight! So good!!

10. GiGi Eats on July 12, 2014 at 9:23 pm

Wait!!!! WTF have I not visited you in awhile?!?!?! I AM SO CONFUSED but also dehydrated because this burger is SOOOOO UP MY ALLEY! Greek is my faveeeeee!!!

XO!
    GiGi Eats recently posted…This is an Emergen-C!My Profile

• Megan Lyons on July 20, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Welcome back, Gigi :). Thanks for the laughs!

11. Day in the Life of a Health Coach on October 23, 2015 at 7:17 am

[…] so I just had to heat it up and put it on a plate!  I had mini Greek Turkey Burgers (similar to these), acorn squash with some butter, and roasted asparagus, Brussels sprouts, zucchini, and broccoli. […]