You Don’t Have to Have it Figured Out

Happy Motivation Monday!  Not only is it a bit late as I’m writing this, but I was also a bit late in posting yesterday’s post (a review of Gabrielle Bernstein’s “Miracles Now,” as well as 6 other books I’ve read lately!), so I’ll be light on text today.  However, I hope today’s concept makes you think, and allows you to recognize that wherever you are, you’re doing great. motivation monday

I was listening to a podcast yesterday on which an entrepreneur was talking about the feeling of never being ‘there.’  As a person who constantly strives for self-improvement and always pushes myself to reach further / achieve more / get a bit better, I related to this a lot.  However, over the course of his career, the entrepreneur realized that it was OK to just enjoy the ride rather than to have a precise plan of how to get to the next major milestone.  It’s something I’m personally not great at doing, but I work on it constantly.  I’m a planner at heart, and I always like to know how I’m going to get to the next step, but I also recognize that, sometimes, that can steal the joy from the journey.

Screen Shot 2014-06-29 at 11.19.14 PM(picture source)

So today, I encourage you to take a step back, wherever you are on your journey, and realize that where you are is exactly where you need to be.  You don’t need to have it all figured out to move forward, and every step you take is still great progress.  Happy Monday!

So tell me in the comments … Are you a planner or a go-with-the-flow type person?  What is one thing you don’t have totally figured out, but you’re moving forward anyways?

Comments

1. says

I don’t go with the flow naturally. I find comfort in planning but have lately realized that I don’t always need to strive for better, further, stronger, faster…. I will always strive for improvement but I’m trying to enjoy and appreciate where I am now instead of always focusing on the getting better. Ah…finding that balance :)
    jill conyers recently posted…6 Tips for Trail Running for BeginnersMy Profile

• says

Yes, Jill! All about balance! Like you, I’m naturally a meticulous planner, which I definitely think has merits as well, but I’m learning to relax!

2. Gary says

Your guidance is welcome as one begins another week of challenges and adventures! Thanks for the words of encouragement and motivation.

3. Karen says

This is a great time for you to practice flexibility – 21 people together at a family reunion in Hilton Head from 4 months to 90 yrs old – each with different ideas and needs and interests. It will be fun, but will take tons of patience and flexibility.
    Ama always used to say, ” don’t forget to stop and smell the roses.”
    AND, I don’t need to remind you of Dads favorite word……..”BALANCE.”
    I need to practice being “there” in the moment, so thanks for the reminder.

• says

That’s really interesting, Laura! I think changing plans stresses me out even more than not having plans in the first place, depending on the situation. Glad you can be flexible!

4. says

I tend to be easy-going, but also very much planned and schedule-oriented. Professionally it helps because I have pretty much always had to juggle multiple projects.

But I also let things go pretty well – look at my ‘down time’ these past couple of weekends as an example. And in general I have learned that being so uptight doesn’t end up helping.

I honestly think much of it has come with age and experience – I mean, SO WHAT if we didn’t end up polishing the furniture in every room in the house – it is much more important to be present when you have others with you, and make the most of what is actually happening.

That is also true for our up coming vacation – we are leaving plenty of ‘wandering time’ between college visits and touristy stuff, and I am working to actually just relax and go with the flow and not be so goal oriented.

Because, well … I used to make daily itineraries for our vacations … on the computer (again, before the web) and detailed with phone numbers, addresses and directions … So I have been a work in progress for a long time! :)
    Michael Anderson recently posted…Apparently I Don’t DO ‘Rest Days’, and My Weekly SummaryMy Profile

• says

The itinerary part made me laugh. I should share our honeymoon itinerary just for kicks. Because we were traveling in so many countries, I wanted to be UBER organized and planned with every last detail. So I have printed directions, maps for how we were going to sightsee by foot, activities we would do every single day, common phrases in each language, and so much more. Overkill … maybe, but funnily enough, it helped us just RELAX when we were there!! We loved every minute!

• says

haha – in your case that makes sense, similar to wedding planning or whatever – or like when we did our first Disney trip and had two little kids and therefore were managing nap schedules as well. But having a relaxing week on Cape Cod? Um, no :) Even for this week in NYC with college visits and Broadway shows all we have is a loose agenda.

Ultimately it is about what helps you relax and enjoy.
        Michael Anderson recently posted…Sunday Vacation Day, Award-Worthy and Weekly Summary!My Profile

5. says

I am a go with the flow type of person, and I have realized this gets me in trouble a lot with the wife who is complete opposite. I am a care free, take life as it comes and deal with it person and she needs a plan for everything. Life is too short to plan everything, sometimes you just have go and See where you end up
    Shaun recently posted…Motivational MondayMy Profile

• says

So interesting that you and your wife are complete opposites, Shaun! I guess it would help you balance each other out, right? My husband and I are both planners, which is generally good as we’re on the same page… but can sometimes compound the craziness! :)

6. says

I plan the little things out, like my workouts and dinner, etc. But when I feel anxious or worried, I know its time to really meditate on the Word and pray. For He knows the thoughts he has toward us, thoughts of peace and not of evil! To give you an expected end!
    Right now, I don’t have any idea where I’m supposed to be job wise and health coaching wise.
    Great post!
    Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake recently posted…Top June Posts Roundup and SurveyMy Profile