Happy Motivation Monday!

I’ve been talking to my Spring Reset group about change.  When we make up our minds to change and then focus on the results (or lack thereof), we are often left feeling discouraged.  Either we want to lose 20 pounds and we feel like a failure because we’ve only lost 15, or we want to start exercising and we make a commitment to exercise every.single.day … only to feel defeated when we take a (likely much-needed!) rest day on the fourth day in. focus on change(picture source)

The end result is definitely important, and I like to have the end result in mind when I’m setting a major goal.  However, on a day-to-day basis, I recommend focusing on celebrating each individual change rather than worrying that we haven’t yet reached the end result.

So today, I’d like you to focus on making one healthy change.  I’ve talked about the power of one change before, and I’ll talk about it again because it’s so powerful.  When I work with Health Coaching clients, we often set just one goal for the week or two between meetings, and celebrate the success of that individual change as we’re working up to the client’s larger goal.  I do this because, quite simply, it works! change something in your daily routine - blog 4.14.14(picture source)

This week, one of the small things I’m going to focus on is prioritizing sleep (so important, even if you’re busy!).  It’s another of our Reset goals, and one of the healthiest habits I need to work on most!

So tell me in the comments … What one change are YOU going to focus on today?

1. jill conyers on April 14, 2014 at 6:38 am

No matter how big or small change and progress are my biggest motivators!
    jill conyers recently posted…Week In ReviewMy Profile

2. Arman @ thebigmansworld on April 14, 2014 at 6:44 am

Seeing as it’s Monday evening now, my focus on change is NOT to wake up tomorrow nervous for the work day ahead- I’m going to focus on changing my mindset to embrace it and not let the petty stress get to me! Cheers meg!
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Catching up- Weekend, blog and all that jazzMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on April 16, 2014 at 11:08 pm

How are you doing with not letting petty stress get to you? I guess it’s almost the weekend for you, so hopefully that will help!!!

3. Amy @ The Little Honey Bee on April 14, 2014 at 6:56 am

I’m going to focus on unplugging. I need to!
    Amy @ The Little Honey Bee recently posted…The Threshold Open & Yonge Street 10KMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on April 16, 2014 at 11:08 pm

Amen, sister. Maybe I’ll tackle that next week!!!

4. Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table on April 14, 2014 at 7:18 am

You KNOW what challenge I’m taking on! This is a timely post. 🙂
    Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table recently posted…Food Intolerance and Healing My GutMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on April 16, 2014 at 11:08 pm

Yes, I do. You’re ROCKING this challenge!

5. Sara @ LovingOnTheRun on April 14, 2014 at 7:44 am

I’m going to focus on staying focused while working and then being unplugged when it is time!
    Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted…Stop Talking and Make it HappenMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on April 16, 2014 at 11:09 pm

Good for you, Sara. That seems to be a theme in the comments … and a habit I need to adopt, too!

6. Becky@TheSavedRunner on April 14, 2014 at 8:47 am

My one change I’m going to focus on is making a cleaning schedule that works for me so I don’t get so overwhelmed when I need to clean my house. Instead of feeling like I have to do it all at once I want to get things a little more organized throughout the week.
    Becky@TheSavedRunner recently posted…I Really Needed This WeekendMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on April 16, 2014 at 11:10 pm

I don’t actually use these (we have a really dorky spreadsheet to divide chores between Kevin and I), but if you just google image search “weekly cleaning schedule” there are a ton of cute print-outs that can help you!!

7. Lora on April 14, 2014 at 8:59 am

Great post! Focusing on change and commitment makes such a difference! (And having a group to hold you accountable is amazing, as well!) I’ve got a lot going on this month–staying positive, breathing, and loving every moment is key!
    Lora recently posted…Nourish with Lorna Jane!My Profile

• Megan Lyons on April 16, 2014 at 11:11 pm

Sounds like April is busy for you, Lora! Good luck! I’m pulling for you!

8. Michael Anderson on April 14, 2014 at 10:01 am

For me it is like an engineering adage – focus on the inputs to control the outputs. It is the same basic idea – trying to manage results is futile, you really need to get back to the changes that will produce the desired effect and figure out how to make them part of you life.

For me?
    – I got a new Kindle Paperwhite, which means I have no excuse for anything but pure reading at bed time … so like many others, it is the ‘unplug’.
    – The boys left for Washington DC, so my focus tonight is a nice salmon & veg dinner for Lisa since she gets out of work later than me today 🙂
    Michael Anderson recently posted…Sunday Runday – 2 Year Runner-versary, 23 Year Engag-aversary, and More!My Profile

• Megan Lyons on April 16, 2014 at 11:12 pm

How was the salmon dinner??? Sounds amazing!

9. Meg on April 14, 2014 at 11:38 am

One of the changes I’ve been working on it making my site a bit more presentable. Today, specifically, I will be working on narrowing down my content and planning my blogs for the next few weeks.

Keyword: Focus.
    Meg recently posted…Calendar CrisisMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on April 16, 2014 at 11:13 pm

Good for you for identifying that you need to focus!! Just headed over to your site and it looks great!

10. Lauren on April 14, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Yes! I was just talking to a client today about this…taking this one thing at a time. The change I’m trying to make is to cut back on screens in the evening and choose to read instead.
    Lauren recently posted…Tummy Troubles: Why you Need to Learn about SIBOMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on April 16, 2014 at 11:14 pm

That change sounds really nice, Lauren, and is a good reminder to me to put this silly computer away!

11. The changes I am trying to make this week: more sleep (we’re on spring break so this week will be easy) and cutting some of my processed foods.
    Deborah Brooks @ Confessions of a Mother Runner recently posted…It was Hot, it was Sweaty, it was Hard…The Revovle DC Blogger RideMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on April 16, 2014 at 11:14 pm

Good for you, Deborah! Since I committed to sleep, I should probably go to bed, huh? 🙂

12. GiGi Eats Celebrities on April 15, 2014 at 8:48 am

Oh heck yes! This is like a public service message because people ALWAYS focus on RESULTS — NO NO NO! Think about the here and now and what you can do RIGHT NOW to better yourself. Go for the sexy lean chicken instead of the fried chicken. Little changes like that add up to something BIG!
    GiGi Eats Celebrities recently posted…That’s A Haunted House 2 My Profile

• Megan Lyons on April 16, 2014 at 11:15 pm

Yes! Little changes add up to something big. And of course you made me laugh with “sexy lean chicken”!

13. Tonya@Budget and the Beach on April 15, 2014 at 8:59 am

I love that Jack Dixon quote! So true! We are so results oriented we forget that small metamorphosis that is happening. I’m doing that right now because my goal is a flatter tummy, so I’ve cut way back on carbs and most importantly, sugar. I can’t expect to be sporting a six back (and I may never, but that’s OK), but what I should be focusing on is how not having that much sugar is a great thing overall.
    Tonya@Budget and the Beach recently posted…Life UpdatesMy Profile

14. Morganne @ Nut Butter Runner on April 15, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Yes, yes, yes! This post is the epitome of motivation! How true is it by just changing our focus it can instantly inspire us? Looking at things in a more positive light is definitely the difference!
    Morganne @ Nut Butter Runner recently posted…Lemon Dill Tuna CakesMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on April 16, 2014 at 11:18 pm

I couldn’t agree more, Morganne! Positivity is so underrated 🙂

15. Miss Polkadot on April 18, 2014 at 10:35 am

Seeing every baby step of progress I make – whichever individual goal we’re talking about – is something I’m constantly working on. If we only look for the end result which might take longer to reach it can get frustrating. And end in us giving up because we “don’t see any results” when it’s just small ones we overlooked up until that point.
    Miss Polkadot recently posted…Germs, grocery store finds and other gems [Thinking out loud]My Profile

• Megan Lyons on April 26, 2014 at 2:31 pm

I couldn’t agree more, Miss Polkadot! It can be hard to notice changes in ourselves – we’re so often waiting for the “huge change” to happen that we miss everything incremental!

16. Good good links #35 | Let's get living on April 19, 2014 at 6:07 pm

[…] Focus on the change via The Lyons’ Share […]

17. Courage is Not the Absence of Fear on November 17, 2014 at 7:54 am

[…] in my life (like last week), sometimes it’s about nutrition and overall wellness (like this one or this one), and sometimes I just scroll through my Pinterest boards until I find something that […]

18. Sweety Singh on December 7, 2015 at 6:50 am

Great post! So true! We are so results oriented we forget that small metamorphosis that is happening. We should do right not easy things. Eat healthy to better yourself. If we only look for the end result which might take longer to reach it can get frustrating. And end in us giving up because we “don’t see any results” when it’s just small ones we overlooked up until that point.