Happy Motivation Monday!  Whether or not you’re Irish, or even care about St. Patrick’s Day, I urge you to adopt some of the happiness that St. Patrick’s Day brings to those that celebrate.  Even though St. Patrick’s Day is actually  meant to commemorate the death of St. Patrick, who brought Christianity to Ireland, you don’t need to celebrate the religious aspects to take part in celebrating the happiness and joy of the day!  So wear something green, drink a green beer, eat some green food, say “Top o’ the mornin’ to ya” to make someone chuckle, or just keep a big smile glued on your face today.  Sure, leprechauns and clovers may sound like silly reasons to smile … but is there such a thing as a silly reason when it comes to trying to be as happy as possible? leprechaun-clover-3(picture source)

I’m going to leave you with two Irish Blessings that convey the St. Patrick’s Day spirit of happiness and hope … and then FIVE St. Patrick’s Day-related pictures!

I love this one … so simple and concise, yet it expresses a perfect wish!irish blessing happiness

(picture source)

And I like this one because it makes me think of my grandparents… irish-blessing(picture source)

Now, in the spirit of Irish happiness, are you ready for some pictures?

Here’s what I was up to Saturday morning… a 5K St. Patrick’s Day race with some (ex?) colleagues and after the race, with our blazingly-fast friend Enoch and his wife Angela …  mckinsey 5k dash down greenvilleangela enoch 5k

Here’s what Dallas will look like tonight … Dallas,_Texas-02(picture source)

And finally, the cutest of them all, if I do say so myself.  This is my dad holding me in the hospital, in my “birth outfit” … in case you can’t read it, it says “It was the Luck of the Irish the day you got ME!”  megan and dad birth outfit 2

And my sister, sporting her “I’m an Irish Baby” bib.  See what I mean?  We really did take the whole St. Patrick’s Day happiness thing to heart! lindsey irish baby

(Thank you so much to my mom for hunting down these pictures!)

Irish or not, have yourself a WONDERFUL (Irish) Motivation Monday! motivation monday

So tell me in the comments … What’s the first outfit you ever wore as a baby?  If you have kids, what did their “birth outfits” look like?  What are you going to do to spread the Irish happiness today?

1. Michael Anderson on March 17, 2014 at 7:45 am

I love the baby pictures! Since we have Irish and Polish, we had some of both outfits for the kids.

We are pretty low key with celebrations, just wearing green etc. It has been interesting how much this ‘holiday’ has grown through the years … though I really don’t know why. It is another holiday created in America based on another country (like Cinco de Mayo) … and was for a long time a ‘dry’ holiday to actually provide some respect for the religious nature of things. And an excuse to pump more nasty dyes into our system! 🙂

But like you say, if we can have an excuse to be nice and kind and happy, so long as we are being kind about it I don’t need an excuse! 🙂
    Michael Anderson recently posted…Motivation Monday – Break Through the Winter ‘Blahs’, Also My ‘Monday Mixtape’My Profile

• Megan Lyons on March 17, 2014 at 11:35 pm

I think it caught on because it became unpolarized … kind of like Halloween. You can’t really DISagree with kids dressing up and being happy (although I guess we can disagree with crazy candy consumption, sketchy creepsters that seem to come out on Halloween, teenage girls/ young women using it as an excuse to show off more than they usually would, etc.) I digress, but my point is that a holiday built upon happiness and celebration is hard to argue against!

• Michael Anderson on March 18, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Great point, Megan! Anything that promotes happiness, getting together and having fun together is GREAT!

I just have always found it intriguing how these things start and spread …

2. Laura @ Mommy Run Fast on March 17, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Wow! We didn’t grow up doing much for St Patricks day (no Irish blood in my family) but this is awesome! I love all those baby pictures.
    Laura @ Mommy Run Fast recently posted…5k Race Recap (20 weeks pregnant)My Profile

• Megan Lyons on March 17, 2014 at 11:35 pm

Thanks, Laura! Are you thinking about what to bring Baby #2 home in?!

3. Olena @ candies & crunches on March 17, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Lovely pictures! Since I’m originally Ukrainian and my hubby is of Italian decent, we don’t really celebrate St-Patrick’s day. But I’m pretty bummed we missed the parade yesterday 🙁

xoxo
    Olena
    Olena @ candies & crunches recently posted…Getting Rid Of Love Handles: Because There is Always Place For Love But Not For HandlesMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on March 17, 2014 at 11:35 pm

So sorry you missed the parade, Olena! Hope you had a fun day anyway!

4. Jillienne @ ChasingRaspberries on March 17, 2014 at 6:10 pm

You were an adorable baby! Look at that face! Too cute for words!
    Jillienne @ ChasingRaspberries recently posted…Until I Ran a Marathon, I Never Understood…My Profile

• Megan Lyons on March 17, 2014 at 11:36 pm

Thanks, Jillienne :). I love baby pictures – good thing I had my mom look for this one for me, or else I would have been sucked down a rabbit hole for hours!

5. Lisa @ Running out of Wine on March 17, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Cute pictures! And I also love the Irish Blessing. This was the first year I didn’t do much of anything to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. I worked from home because of all the snow we got, but I made sure to make a green smoothie and eat lots of greens:)
    Lisa @ Running out of Wine recently posted…Raleigh Marathon Training Week 12 and Race ReflectionsMy Profile

6. Kim on March 17, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Cute pictures!!! So fun that your family celebrated Irish heritage from the beginning.
    Love the picture of Dallas with the green lights!!
    Kim recently posted…Day With KT Is EvolvingMy Profile

7. Chrissy on March 17, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Happy St. Paddy’s!!
    Chrissy recently posted…Monday Musings: Being Boring, St. Patrick’s Day and To-Do ListsMy Profile

8. emma @ be mom strong on March 18, 2014 at 5:45 am

Well I don’t remember my first outfit but my daughter had a really cute onesie with ruffle bloomers… that she pooped all over and had to basically wear the hospital swaddle home!
    emma @ be mom strong recently posted…NYC Half RecapMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on March 20, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Oh no, Emma! That sounds awful! It’s a little funny, but I’m sure it wasn’t funny at the time!!

9. Traci on March 18, 2014 at 6:23 am

I have no idea what my first outfit as a baby was! I should ask my mom. As far as St. Patrick’s Day, I acknowledge the bit of Irish I have in me, and it’s never a silly thing to try to be as happy as possible.
    Traci recently posted…You May Have a Fresh StartMy Profile

• Megan Lyons on March 20, 2014 at 9:44 pm

I agree that it’s never silly to try to be as happy as possible, Traci! Hope you enjoyed Monday!

10. Kate on March 19, 2015 at 11:55 pm

Happy belated birthday, Megan!