Well, I have good news and bad news for you today (but it’s Friday, so the good outweighs the bad, no matter what!). (picture source)
The bad news: I had a post with TWO new recipes all set for Foodie Friday, and it included a review of a new-to-me protein powder with a 40% discount code for you! But, when I went to type it up, I realized I don’t actually have the discount code yet! Bummer (and, double bummer that I didn’t realize that until 1:02am and had to start a whole new post then!). So, you’ll have to wait a few days. If you’re in the market for a new protein powder, hold on! 40% is a big deal!
The good news: I am shocking myself by being ahead of the game with recipes waiting to be published, meaning you still get a Foodie Friday post today! Do you remember that I shared my Tempeh-Black Bean Burgers with you on Monday? Well, they tasted good, but I wasn’t that happy with them due to the texture. But that’s not the whole story … maybe they didn’t taste as good because I made them the day after I made this mouth-wateringly delicious, filling, hearty, and comforting dish (that just happens to be bursting-with-nutrients). Not much could stand comparison to this dish – I devoured every bite, and then re-bought the ingredients the next week so I could make it again. Intrigued? Let’s cook!
Sizzlin’ Southwestern Spaghetti Squash
Serves 2 (for one serving, you can cook both halves of the squash and store the unused half in a covered container in the refrigerator. Simply divide all ingredients besides the squash in half as you make the filling).
- One medium-sized spaghetti squash
- 1/2 onion (white or yellow)
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 2 tsp cumin, divided
- 1 tsp garlic powder, divided
- 1/2 block (~150g) tempeh (I used Westsoy Five Grain blend)
- 2/3 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 T salsa
- 2 tsp. fire-roasted green chiles (may omit if you don’t want it spicy)
- 1/3 avocado
- 4 T nutritional yeast (can substitute parmesan cheese if you don’t like nutritional yeast)
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Poke some holes through your spaghetti squash (like I tell you here), and microwave for 3 minutes. When it’s cool enough to handle, slice length-wise, scoop out seeds and stringy flesh, and place open-side down on a foil-lined baking pan sprayed with cooking spray. Bake 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dice onion and slice tomatoes into halves or quarters. Add onion, 1 tsp. cumin, and 1/2 tsp. garlic powder to pan sprayed with cooking spray or olive oil (not included in nutrition facts). Saute until beginning to soften. Add tomatoes and saute an additional 2-3 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove your spaghetti squash and flip the halves over (so the inside faces up). Sprinkle with the remainder of your cumin and garlic powder, and return to oven for 10-15 more minutes, or until edges are starting to brown.
- Add crumbled tempeh to onion and tomatoes. (You can crumble it with your hands, until it looks approximately like ground beef or turkey). Add rinsed and drained black beans and green chiles, and saute an additional 5 minutes.
- Add salsa to pan and stir until heated through.
- Place one half of spaghetti squash into a bowl, and spoon in half of the filling. Top with half of the chopped avocado (it makes EVERYTHING better!), and 2 T of nutritional yeast.
- Of course, I served mine with extra veggies … why not?!?
- And then I promptly scooped out the “spaghetti” from its shell, dumped everything into a big bowl, and dug in!
I was audibly “mmm-ing” to myself with every bite. I loved the heartiness of the dish and the way it kept me full for hours. But mostly, I loved that it tasted SO delicious! Warm, comforting “spaghetti” meets spicy Southwestern flavors, hearty beans and tempeh, cheesy nutritional yeast, and cool, creamy avocado. Enjoy!
If prepared according to these instructions, each serving (1/2 spaghetti squash with toppings) will contain 381 calories, 10g fat, 50g carbs, 20g protein.
So tell me in the comments … what ingredient do you think makes everything better? What do you think I made with my new protein powder? What’s making you smile on this Friday?