Happy Motivation Monday! Today’s Motivation Monday post is going to be a little bit different than most. But hopefully it will have the same effect! First, I’m going to play along with a fun “get-to-know-the-blogger” game … I was nominated for a Sunshine Award by my friend Sara, who I guest-posted for last week, and who blogs at Loving on the Run. Then, I’ll share a great-tasting, but not-perfect-texture recipe for Black Bean Tempeh Burgers! Enjoy!
The word sunshine just brings a smile to your face, doesn’t it? I hope so! For the Sunshine award, you are supposed to post the image below (check!), answer 10 questions from the person who nominated you (check!), thank them (thank you, Sara! You are amazing!), and nominate 10 more bloggers. Since I nominated 10 bloggers for the Liebster Award not too long ago, I’ll invite anyone who wants to play to join in instead! If you feel like answering one of the questions, please do so in the comments. Or, if you’re a blogger, answer the questions on your blog – and be sure to post your link in the comments so we can all check it out!
Sara’s Sunshine Award Questions (and my answers!)
1. What is your favorite non-running form of exercise? I need so many answers here! Most common = quick circuit workouts like those on my pinterest boards. Best workout = tie between spinning and circuit workouts. True favorite = hiking in some beautiful location like St. Lucia or Colorado. Most relaxing/ wish I did it more = yoga.
2. What made you decide you start blogging? I have been wanting to start a blog for YEARS … I started reading healthy living blogs in 2009 or so, and always wanted to start my own. Once I realized that I was already giving out advice to family, friends, and colleagues, and started thinking more seriously about something health-related as a real passion/ goal, I decided to do it. Then, I got an unexpected week off of work, and … the rest is history!
3. If you could move anywhere in the world, where would it be? This is the second time I have mentioned these places … I think I’m itching for a vacation! . It’s a tie between Colorado, where my grandparents retired and where my family has a ranch house, and St. Lucia, where Kevin and I got engaged (and the first stop on our honeymoon!). These two places are the ones where it is easiest for me to truly relax.
4. What is your favorite weekend activity? It’s more of a weekend “perfect day” than an activity … I’d wake up, eat breakfast and read some blogs and health news, go for a long, slow run, shower and eat, relax outside, read, and do some blogging, then cook a fun dinner with Kevin, have a few glasses of wine, and hang out or watch one of “our shows” (currently Friday Night Lights, Secret Life of an American Teenager – I know!, Arrested Development, or Cutthroat Kitchen)
5. What is a current goal you are working towards? I’d like to continue to work on enjoying each day and living for the moment rather than stressing out. I’d also like to beat my half marathon PR, but I’m honestly thinking that will take another 6 months – I’m not quite ready! I have a few other goals that I’m keeping secret for now!
6. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? The honest truth is that I don’t know … and I’m OK with that!
7. What is one positive thing blogging has brought to your life? I’ve gotten to know so many great people via blog comments and emails, and have gotten a few emails saying that I’ve helped out in some small way. That in itself is worth it 1,000 times over!
8. What is your favorite blog to read? TOO impossible to answer … there are SO many blogs are in my Feedly, that I wish I could just sit around and read all day!
9. What is your favorite workout song? I kind of hated this song at first, but now I LOVE IT … Holy Grail by Jay-Z featuring Justin Timberlake. I cannot listen to it without nodding my head or singing … during yesterday’s race I definitely played imaginary drums.
10. What is your favorite holiday? Real favorite is Christmas. It is SUCH a special holiday to both my family and Kevin’s family, and I’m still a complete 6-year-old when it comes to Christmas giddiness. I LOVE everything about the holiday, and it’s a great time to spend with family. Second favorite is St. Patrick’s Day! My family is Irish, and every St. Patty’s Day my mom would make us dye ALL of our food green. Check out this spread from the St. Patty’s Day gathering we hosted for a few friends this past year – green chips, green veggies, guacamole, green grapes, green candy, green cookies, green sangria, and much more green goodness!
Black Bean Tempeh Burgers
I’m not even going to write this up in recipe format, because I’m not quite happy with the texture (yet!). The burgers taste wonderful, but they’re a little crumbly and not real burger texture. I’ll keep working, but because I keep missing Heather’s Meatless Monday A-Z link-up, I wanted to participate with a half-way recipe .
Recipe makes 2 servings (4 small burgers). Each serving has 202 calories, 5g fat, 23g carbs, and 19g protein.
Crumble half a block of tempeh (I used Westsoy Five Grain). Add in 1/2 cup black beans, and mash at least half of them. Add in a scant 1/2 cup egg substitute (or 2 eggs), plus 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp cumin, and 2-3 tsp mustard (the key ingredient for this link-up!). Go ahead and mix up with your hands – it’s much easier this way! Form into burger shapes and lay onto a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
I tried the recipe again, this time adding spinach and 1 tsp tahini. I thought that some extra (healthy) fat might help the burgers bind, but I think the spinach counteracted the tahini, and the burgers were still fairly crumbly. Let me know if you find a good alternative!
So tell me in the comments … Answer one of the questions from the Sunshine Award above!